Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: ABS vs Non ABS
Who has ABS and prefer it?
63.92%
Who doesn't have ABS but would prefer to have got it or get it in next purchase
12.37%
Who has it but doesn't want it or disabled it?
1.55%
Who never had it and doesn't want it?
12.89%
Who is tired of this question being asked/answered?
9.28%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

ABS vs. Non-ABS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010 | 04:51 PM
DET
Advanced

Originally Posted by bob2002
My 09 had a glitch in the ABS but the new download fixed that. I will not buy another bike without it but I guess some people would like to go back to drum brakes.
I almost lost mine before the glitch was fixed. After the download really like it.

Old 02-16-2010 | 05:39 PM
g money
Account Retired

Originally Posted by bob2002
My 09 had a glitch in the ABS but the new download fixed that. I will not buy another bike without it but I guess some people would like to go back to drum brakes.
My 2010 Chevy Silverado has drum brakes in the rear. When I traded my 06 suburban with discs in the rear they needed the backing plates replaced and to do that you have to pull the axles. When I asked the dealer why a 2010 has drum brakes he said its gonna cost you $800 to fix your rear discs. Do you still want discs? So i guess new technology isnt always a good thing.
Gary D.

Old 02-16-2010 | 06:17 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by g money
My 2010 Chevy Silverado has drum brakes in the rear. When I traded my 06 suburban with discs in the rear they needed the backing plates replaced and to do that you have to pull the axles. When I asked the dealer why a 2010 has drum brakes he said its gonna cost you $800 to fix your rear discs. Do you still want discs? So i guess new technology isnt always a good thing.
Gary D.
I don't buy stuff based on how inexpensive it is to repair, especially when it comes to brakes. I've owned both an '02 Silverado (with rear discs) and an '08 Silverado (with rear drums), and there's no question about which one stopped better when loaded (it wasn't the '08). Chevy went to rear drums to keep the cost of the truck down (the same reason they stopped putting their seatbelts in the seats). By cutting costs, they drastically reduced the safety of their trucks.

And that's why I don't drive a Chevy anymore.

I've got two bikes, one with ABS and one without. I wouldn't own another touring bike without ABS. I'd love to find an aftermarket system I could retrofit to the 'Train.

Old 02-16-2010 | 06:20 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

Bought a new Chevy in 03 without ABS. I was afraid I might regret it after having an ABS vehicle for about 8 years before. I was surprised how much I preferred the non ABS right away. Didn't miss it one bit.

Old 06-22-2010 | 07:57 AM
buffgunner
Advanced

I hate to dredge up an old thread - but there are some truly ignorant people out there. Several people think it's just personal preference or an opinion - it isn't. All the facts are well proven now. Just a couple points to make.
- the only place ABS is NOT ALWAYS better is in snow or on dirt where not locking can lengthen stopping distances. However, even there it will keep you in a straight line. On a bike, locking the front is never good.
- No matter how long you've been riding - or how much track time you have - you'll be able to stop faster with ABS. In testing ABS systems compared to the same bike without it, the only time a non-ABS bike stopped faster was in a CONTROLLED stop with a profesional road racer riding - and it wasn't by much. In the rain, ANYONE riding an ABS bike can stop faster (a lot faster) that even the professional roadracer. In a panic situation, ABS will always haul you down faster.

On a touring bike, there is absolutely no reason to not get ABS unless it just isn't available.

For more info:http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedi...ngDistance.pdf http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

Old 06-22-2010 | 08:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by buffgunner
I hate to dredge up an old thread - but there are some truly ignorant people out there. Several people think it's just personal preference or an opinion - it isn't. All the facts are well proven now. Just a couple points to make.
- the only place ABS is NOT ALWAYS better is in snow or on dirt where not locking can lengthen stopping distances. However, even there it will keep you in a straight line. On a bike, locking the front is never good.
- No matter how long you've been riding - or how much track time you have - you'll be able to stop faster with ABS. In testing ABS systems compared to the same bike without it, the only time a non-ABS bike stopped faster was in a CONTROLLED stop with a profesional road racer riding - and it wasn't by much. In the rain, ANYONE riding an ABS bike can stop faster (a lot faster) that even the professional roadracer. In a panic situation, ABS will always haul you down faster.

On a touring bike, there is absolutely no reason to not get ABS unless it just isn't available.

For more info:http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedi...ngDistance.pdf http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html
An interesting view. Fortunately we are all free to make our own judgement. I've ridden 50k miles on a bike with ABS, through UK winters and never used it. That is to say it never activated. From what I have read so far Harley's system is intrusive, not supportive, giving the false impression that it is doing good. For most of us of even modest riding ability ABS will not trigger, simply because we do not ride anywhere near the limits of adhesion. Natural caution is a wonderful thing!

Fortunately I am not in the market for a new Harley, so can set aside choosing for or against ABS for the time being!

Old 06-22-2010 | 12:36 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

I like ABS on my cars and my motorcycle very much, and even if I never used it (I have), the knowledge that it is there is very comforting. BMW has had ABS much longer than H-D and it is standard on all their heavy bikes. I saw a demo behind the Ocean Center at Daytona by BMW when they first introduced ABS (approx. 20 years ago). As a result, I have been hoping for a long time that H-D would offer it someday.

Old 06-22-2010 | 12:47 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

Just a note of interest. When H-D first introduced ABS on non-Police bikes, it was an $800 option, installed at the factory only, on touring models for 2008. When I told the sales people at my dealership that I wanted ABS on my new 2008 RG, they said AB... what?

Old 06-22-2010 | 01:33 PM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser

When I ordered my new 09 FLHR and stipulated ABS the salesmen said what do you want that for? Now it looks like most big touring bikes are ordered with ABS by my dealer.

I like others that have posted here, have ridden ABS bikes for years. I have almost 200K registered on BMW bikes and wouldn't be without it. In fact if Harley hadn't started offering ABS on non cop bikes, I would probably be riding something else right now.

Old 06-22-2010 | 01:45 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tmcgeesr
When I ordered my new 09 FLHR and stipulated ABS the salesmen said what do you want that for? Now it looks like most big touring bikes are ordered with ABS by my dealer.

I like others that have posted here, have ridden ABS bikes for years. I have almost 200K registered on BMW bikes and wouldn't be without it. In fact if Harley hadn't started offering ABS on non cop bikes, I would probably be riding something else right now.
I'm with tmcgeesr on this one! I took an experienced rider course a few weeks ago and part of the class was quick stopping. Having ABS is the ****!!! Got it on my RKC and soon on the Limited.

Quick Reply: ABS vs. Non-ABS