Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: ABS vs Non ABS
Who has ABS and prefer it?
63.92%
Who doesn't have ABS but would prefer to have got it or get it in next purchase
12.37%
Who has it but doesn't want it or disabled it?
1.55%
Who never had it and doesn't want it?
12.89%
Who is tired of this question being asked/answered?
9.28%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

ABS vs. Non-ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010 | 07:35 PM
ENTERPRISE
Tourer

i like it.it has already saved me once.

Old 01-26-2010 | 07:41 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ga4boats
Wow, the only cars without ABS now-a-days are real old. I have it on my bike and am somewhat scared to go without it on a new bike. Am I being a little fearful?
My car is an '03 model. Old enough I guess.
I think every rider should become accustomed to proper braking methods without the benefit of mechanical aids such as ABS. After becoming an accomplished rider, whatever one prefers on his or her bike is strictly up to the individual. Wether you have ABS on your bike or not, there is no need to be scared. Just my .02

Old 01-26-2010 | 08:54 PM
dredy2g
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mac57
My car is an '03 model. Old enough I guess.
I think every rider should become accustomed to proper braking methods without the benefit of mechanical aids such as ABS. After becoming an accomplished rider, whatever one prefers on his or her bike is strictly up to the individual. Whether you have ABS on your bike or not, there is no need to be scared. Just my .02
I 100% agree with u Mac57.

Old 01-26-2010 | 09:44 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

I answered that I prefer ABS on a bike. And I have it on my Harley. But I hate the ABS brakes on a Harley. They suck ***. If you hit a little braking bump the ABS will cycle and release pressure extending your stop. The actuation is not smooth, and the MUSHY lever plain SUCKS. I'm so disappointed.

The linked ABS system in my BMW K1200GT was awesome. Seamless, always worked perfectly. The only drawback was reduced braking when the motor wasn't running (but newer models are not like that).

HD needs to fix this system before I would recommend buying it.

Old 01-26-2010 | 09:59 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

I have had ABS on several cars I have owned. It is on my current car. It is nice to have when someone stops suddenly in front of me.

I have been on a Motorcycle all of my life. I have been on Harleys for over 35 years. I have never had ABS until I got the New 2009 Road Glide. I was not looking for ABS when I was looking to replace my Ultra that was totaled. I felt I didn't need it. In fact, I was asking for ones without ABS due to the added cost. I purchased this Road Glide after the 2010 models came out and the dealer was willing to deal. They offered it with ABS without adding the cost to the total price. So I bought it with the ABS.

When I got it home and rode it for a while, I found that I like it and once it helped when a Car pulled out in front of me. The only thing I have had a problem with is when I have been coming to a stop at a stop sign and the road is very rough, the ABS has activated because the front wheel had bounced and it thought it was slipping. I was not in any danger and controled without any problems, but it can be strange. The first time I released the front brake and almost ran the stop sign.

Old 01-26-2010 | 10:12 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Smile ABS or non Abs

Rode for several years without it. Didn't think much about it until I purchased a BMW K1200LT. The brakes on this bike were unreal regardless of speed. Always smooth, no chattering great feel. From there went to a 2000 Indian, grabbed a whole lot of brake and prayed and i can't say I'm a religious sorta guy. Decided to sell the Indian and bought an anniversary RG with the ABS. At first i thought Harley had just about got it right, that was until I had some hard braking on an uneven road. Had the same problem already mentioned here where the ABS releases and then reactivates. First time it happened Jus about gave me a heart attack. Knowing its possible now just makes you more aware but I sure wish HD could fix it. Having said that if I traded to a new HD I would definitely get the ABS again.
ride safe

Old 01-26-2010 | 10:23 PM
PhillyRoadKing
Advanced

Having ABS must make you a careless rider. It seems that everyone with ABS has been saved by it at least once.

Old 01-26-2010 | 10:43 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

ABS is too rich for my blood. Cruise control on the other hand I'm all for.

Old 01-26-2010 | 10:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I will never buy another bike without ABS again.

Old 01-27-2010 | 12:25 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

We all know what ABS is and how it works. There will always be people for and against it. It's your bike, your money and your @ss. Do whatever you want.

Quick Reply: ABS vs. Non-ABS