Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wallow cured

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:54 AM
rollover
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wallow cured

Seahag, whip me up one of those brackets. I'll pay you for it. Both products do seem a bit overpriced but if they work, they are worth every penny. My Ultra does the wallow in sweepers. Seems any time you put speed together with a turn, the bike has a tendency to wallow. I will definitely be adding one of the 2 products this winter unless someone comes out with a lower cost alternative. hint hint. The first few times the bike wallowed I definitely got a bit nervous. Now I am used to it and you can anticipate it but I would still like to get rid of it completely.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:08 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rollover

Seahag, whip me up one of those brackets. I'll pay you for it. Both products do seem a bit overpriced but if they work, they are worth every penny. My Ultra does the wallow in sweepers. Seems any time you put speed together with a turn, the bike has a tendency to wallow. I will definitely be adding one of the 2 products this winter unless someone comes out with a lower cost alternative. hint hint. The first few times the bike wallowed I definitely got a bit nervous. Now I am used to it and you can anticipate it but I would still like to get rid of it completely.

Notice I said I was a CNC machinest in a former job....Unfortunately I don't have access to the equipment anymore. I think I'll pull the axle adjusters this winter and take some measurements; then see if I can't commision making a set for less money than what Ridestr8 is charging. Like I said they are simply made out of round stock. Just turn the shaft down and thread it, then mill the flats and drill a hole. If done with a manual machine it would probably take enough time to warrant their price, but with a CNC setup, its probably ten minutes work. Machine setup and programming probably another 30-40 minutes.

P.S....I wonder if its not the tour pack with the higher center of gravity that is making other bikes wallow. The only time I ever recall having a shimmy in the back end was when I was running too low a pressure in my shocks

Old 09-01-2006, 12:28 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many glides, no wallow, must be those california roads Or maybe some bikes are well worn, I noticed the original poster had a cop bike, those get heavy abuse around here.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
rollover
Road Captain

Seahag, I did see that you were past tense. I was just messing with ya. I agree that the price seems a bit steep but with not much competition, we are at their mercy. Sucks that this stuff isn't standard on the bikes. I could understand if they were Harley made and Harley held out so we would buy from them but they don't even make a dime on the deal so no reason they shouldn't have some type of stabilization for that swingarm. More so on the big bikes as that is where the problem seems to be more prevalent.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:57 PM
trmn8r
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SeaHag

P.S....I wonder if its not the tour pack with the higher center of gravity that is making other bikes wallow. The only time I ever recall having a shimmy in the back end was when I was running too low a pressure in my shocks
I have experience the wallow at regular interstate speeds on my bike, going through long sweeping turns at interstate interchanges, with stock tires and now with my ME880 (rear only for now) it didn't change anything. Actually I almost feel like the better sticking tire might have made the swingarm wallowing more noticable becaue the tire transmits all the feel back to me better. (kind of like the way the tire reduces the wallowing feel from the oposite side of the tire due to groove pavement etc.) Anyway,will be able to report back to you next week on if losing the tour pack helps... I see your reasoning in this question... mine will be coming off thursday or so. Also your right about shock pressure making a difference, I prefer my ride at around 10# but the wallow seems better starting aroudn 15#.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM
10ahc_Rider
Stage II

I have a Road Glide, that doesn't Glide. In long turns running 80mph or above it doesn't trail. On long straights it Wobbles around 115mph. I have had sport bikes, I bought this for traveling, I ride year round regardless. I want to feel safe when I ride, "like I want to", and not have a wobble. I read an article about a Road Glide at Bonneville that got 147mph, they couldn't do that with a high speed wobble. I am leaning to the Ride Str8. Although some of the products on True-Trak look pretty good. Oh yeah, by sport bike I mean Low Riders and Super Glides. Some of them had high speed Wobble but it was in the front tire and in the 120's mph. I want the Wobble-GONE!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i run a truetrack...bought it with 1000 miles on my non cop SG...i too have riddin the dragon...but not kookyfunky roads so they may be better...my SG wallowed mainly on long sweepers...just part of the total performance pkg so many miss

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Many glides, no wallow, must be those california roads Or maybe some bikes are well worn, I noticed the original poster had a cop bike, those get heavy abuse around here.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:55 PM
acedantinne
Tourer

First off I called a swim motion. Wallow, Ok. I'll call it from now on. Just to let you know with my friends. same model RKC. They allride/handle diferent. My RKC is bad, Wallow that is.
As soon as I install the IDS on bike. Next will be the ridest8.
Returning from Americade ran grooved road surface we almost lost it. Had to bring bike down to 45 mph to gain control. were running around 70mph. I dont know why. Bike was loaded Wife both bags, rear rack t-bag biggest 1 they sell. Felt like the front of the bike came off the road. Rear was wallowing.
Rear spacer kit. Do I need this on 07 RKC. What about IDS interference? With kit?
Glad to hearyour report. Only heard good about the product.

Thanks
Captain
Local 713 IAFF

Old 08-29-2007, 05:32 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You still aren't getting your best handling with just a tire/pressure change. I've installed the ridestr8 on both my 01 RG and 06 EGC and can rock either bike into a rough curve with confidence. CONFIDENCE

Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 PM
10ahc_Rider
Stage II

Why did you choose the Ride Str8 over the True-Trak?

Quick Reply: Wallow cured