Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wallow cured

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Sreynold1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wallow cured

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Eyespy: Thanks for the review. RideStr8 was the wallow eliminator I was considering. But for my riding style (slighty more aggressive than "old lady") changing tires to ME880's and a relatively firm front & rear shock pressure made the wallow more manageable and predictable.

Pic of the chome axle adjusters on my bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14935/E6ACAF1104A24287A98E5A6B40215538.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this wallow a road king thing? Been riding classics for 14 years and never had this problem.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Is this wallow a road king thing? Been riding classics for 14 years and never had this problem.
I was wondering the same thing. My EGC seems fine. Although I'm always up for blowing money on something that might help bike performance

Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dawg

I was wondering the same thing. My EGC seems fine. Although I'm always up for blowing money on something that might help bike performance
Wallow is common to swingarm bikes, all HD touring models included. The rear wheel deflects from straight ahead during hard corners and then steers a different line than where the front was pointed.
Description from RideStr8: " Ride-Str8 is an inexpensive, easy to install ride performance add-on that eliminates rear wheel torque induced steer experienced by many owners of FLHT Harley Davidson motorcycles also known as "Wobble".

Old 08-31-2006, 06:40 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: dawg

It is definitely not just a Road King thing. I had it on both of my Road Kings and I have it on my Street Glide. It all depends on how hard you push you bikes in the corners. I push my bikes pretty hard in the canyons. Scraping floorboards is not uncommon. The wallow on my Glide increases with weight (2-up) and as my cornering speed increases. It is particularily noticeable when going over a bump in high-speed corners.

Bottom line, if most of your riding is on the interstate, or you ride very mellow while cornering, you won't have the wallow.

Doug

Old 08-31-2006, 06:40 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Ive run Tha Dragon's tail two up at a good speed and never felt this, and these are the tightest curves east of the mississppi, I guess if you want a sport bike ride it might do something, otherwise Its like alot of products out there, made to address things that dont need addressing.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:52 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

Ive run Tha Dragon's tail two up at a good speed and never felt this, and these are the tightest curves east of the mississppi, I guess if you want a sport bike ride it might do something, otherwise Its like alot of products out there, made to address things that dont need addressing.
Gunrunner,

I've never run the Dragon's Tail, so I can't be sure what the road is like. However, the key phrase that you used is "tightest curves east of the mississippi". In the canyons out here in Southern California, I never have a wallowing problem in tight curves. It's the mid to hi-speed sweepers that induce the wallowing. 20 or 30mph hairpins never give me a problem with respect to the wallowing. It's always the faster corners, especially those with bumps in the middle of them. My Harleys have always wallowed BIG TIME when I push hard in those sweepers.

I'd like to try the Dragon's Tail sometime - sounds like a nice ride.

Doug

Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Dragons Tail is 318 curves in 11 miles in NC/TN, cool place, see here http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

Old 09-01-2006, 05:40 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sol
Wallow is common to swingarm bikes, all HD touring models included. The rear wheel deflects from straight ahead during hard corners and then steers a different line than where the front was pointed.
Description from RideStr8: " Ride-Str8 is an inexpensive, easy to install ride performance add-on that eliminates rear wheel torque induced steer experienced by many owners of FLHT Harley Davidson motorcycles also known as "Wobble".
Inexpensive is relative to how much money you think this bracket is worth. I don't know if those of you who choose to spend this much money have bikes that handle much worse than mine or what; but I ride as agressive as my floor boards allow when riding solo, and I've never experienced any kind of wallowing that would entice me to spend $400.00 for some bolt on linkage. I feel the same about those axle adjusters...Way overpriced. In a previous job, I was a CNC machines and one of our products were nearly identicle [but smaller] to those axle adjusters and they are too easy to make to spend that much money on them.

Quick Reply: Wallow cured