Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
njhonker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio help

hey all.........just got a new 08 leftover Electra Glide Standard.......am looking for options on a radio.....factory radio to be installed is about $1,100. Do you guys recomend that or what about aftermarket radio....wanted some feedback on some guys with experience with the aftermarket stuff....PLEASE

Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Cruiser
Smile

DONT GET THE FACTORY RADIO.

For that price you can get an amp, speakers and a much superior aftermarket deck.
Arc Audio, Biketronics, Hawg Wired, Hogtunes amps, to name a few.

Polk, Alpine, Focals, Hawg wired, Hogtunes, J & M, and pretty much any quality car audio speakers will work on a motorcycle.

Same goes for decks, all or most of the above mentioned manufacturers have better quality decks than factory.

Search the forums there is a TON of information on that subject.

If after you`re done reading you still really want the factory deck, check the classsifieds in the touring forum..more often than not someone has pulled the HK deck out of their touring bike and will sell it at considerably less than HD will.

Good Luck and have fun, but don`t get too carried away because after all unless you`re parked, riding the motorcycle isn`t exactly the best acoustical location to be an audiophile.......but it sure is alota FUN

Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
rokkin66
Advanced

My factory unit had problems during CD playback sometimes & I didnt need the capabilities my factory head unit had. I already have a GPS unit & I will NEVER install a CB so I sold my factory HD stereo and put in a Sony Marine headunit with CD/radio & it also has a spot to plug in my I-pod. I sold the factory speakers with the unit and stuck in some J&M 7-1/4 speakers in the fairing in the facory 5-1/4 location and installed the hogtunes tweeter pod and it rocks WAY better than factory for WAY less money. AND I can still use my factory hand controls for the stereo. Best of both worlds!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 PM
rk62
Cruiser

If I didn't already have the factory unit, I would go with a brand name marine unit and amplifier. Harmon Kardon is kind of funny. I have an older HK home theater receiver and it is great but the company seems to go through periods when one year the stuff is top notch and another they are plagued with problems.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
michael427
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went with a pioneer set up and I love it. The best part is that the whole thing with speakers cost under 300.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Jday53
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Firecap on here Firecap 501 he is a weath of info on harley audio he can set you up with what ever you need good guy to talk to

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

HK is a fine unit but people have had some problems, me included but it was under warranty. It sounds great, even on the highway. You could probably find a used one if you didn't want new or wait till a sell and get 20% off. After market units are nice too. Main reason I went with the HK as an option on my FLHT was the look and the 2 yr. warranty. I haven't seen an after market unit that looked like it belonged in the dash and most have blue back light that doesn't match instruments and some don't utilize all the controls.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Skip
Road Captain

I have a Sony headunit, Hogtunes speakers and Polk tweeters in my 2005 EGS

Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
screws4156
Road Captain

I put in a Sony

Attached Thumbnails radio help-sony.jpg  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

I have not had any issues with my HK unit. When I was considering buying a police unit and was looking at what radio to install I decided that I would install a factory unit to look original. That may not be important to everyone but it was to me. I have no trouble hearing mine at any speed and it is all stock.

Quick Reply: radio help