Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

111hp/115ft lbs...should I be disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
They dyno did change. What you measured was the true error in the dyno created by the dyno assuming what the rotational mass of the bike is. The power output of the bike didnt change at all.

Each bike isnt making what the dynojet says it is. The dynojet test is an approximation. it has numerous large errors.

If you wanna win a dyno shootout fit an ultra light weight 130 wide wheel, worn tire, a belt primary, take the IDS off, take your rear disk off and you will win.

But you will get your *** handed to you out on the road.
I didn say the bikes power changed, I said, "allowed the tire to slip more, making for a lower reading."
The 800 pound drum didnt notice the few grams in rotational weight difference from a worn tire to a new one.

If you wanna win a dyno shootout fit an ultra light weight 130 wide wheel, worn tire, a belt primary, take the IDS off, take your rear disk off and you will win.

That will work great right up to the point the wheel starts hopping and spinning on the drum and makes you loose as fast as a top fuel car that spins!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

This is almost as good as a 1% thread. LOL

Zach

Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
I didn say the bikes power changed, I said, "allowed the tire to slip more, making for a lower reading."
The 800 pound drum didnt notice the few grams in rotational weight difference from a worn tire to a new one.

That will work great right up to the point the wheel starts hopping and spinning on the drum and makes you loose as fast as a top fuel car that spins!
The rotational mass (inertia) is what counts. Static mass provides the weight that holds the bike on to the drum. 2 different things.

Putting on a light wheel and tyre cuts a few pounds off the static weight, but takes huge amounts off the rotational inertia.

It is well documented that new tires result in an apparent loss of hp on a dynojet dyno and it has nothing to do with slip.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
This is almost as good as a 1% thread. LOL

Zach
Or a compensator thread!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
No, Dyno shootouts arent fair, they still have the same errors. You cant even compare 2 bikes on the same dyno on the same day unless they are completely mechanically identical, right down to tire type and amount of wear.

Any change in rotating mass will result in a different reading. Stuff like worn tires, wide tires, IDS, belt primary, chain secondary, laced / cast / forged wheels, all change the rotational inertia and therefore change the apparent power output during a sweep test. None of these things make a quantifiable difference out on the road.

The only test that is truly fair is the static test, ie where the dyno holds the motor at a constant speed and measures the net torque / hp made.

http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/m...ojet_dyno.html
Me saying the dyno is more accurate thanruning on the street was because it is taking the rider ability out of the equasion. That was a respounce of the post you made about the only true way to compare bikes is on the street. I said the dyno takes rider error ou of the equasion. If 2 identical bikes are racing on the street and 1 guy misses a gear, that doesn't mean that the bike lost, it means the rider lost. I am talking about comparing bikes, not riders.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will win the shootout with the biggest *****. LOL

Old 03-24-2010, 03:14 PM
ghostej morrow
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to use the MASTER TUNER instead of the super tuner. I would stay away from a power commander.The MASTER TUNER is more infinitely variable than the super tuner and can fine tune more presicely. That being said,I think you have a great package.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:20 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I say if it feels as good to ride as you describe, be happy with it, who cares what the paper says, if it pulls as long and hard as you say!!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Me saying the dyno is more accurate thanruning on the street was because it is taking the rider ability out of the equasion. That was a respounce of the post you made about the only true way to compare bikes is on the street. I said the dyno takes rider error ou of the equasion. If 2 identical bikes are racing on the street and 1 guy misses a gear, that doesn't mean that the bike lost, it means the rider lost. I am talking about comparing bikes, not riders.
So now we can't even ride our bikes? Next thing you will want to do is take the mechanic out of the equation and measure theoretical HP and TQ numbers on a theoretical compilation of parts and do this in cyberspace. On the street is where it matters not on a dyno, that is where you tune and measure differences of what changes you've made to your bike ,not overall hp and tq comparisons, in my opinion. Nothing personal at all , bikes don't ride themselves.....well, not yet!!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Mind if I ask how much that build cost you to get those numbers?

Quick Reply: 111hp/115ft lbs...should I be disappointed?