Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

111hp/115ft lbs...should I be disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

So what did it cost for the dyno, 34 hp and 15 lbs of tq?. Was it worth it?.,

Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I know its negligible but your HP/TQ numbers will increase slightly after the engine is broken in. Engines always make the most power after they are broken in, rings seated, etc.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM
SlowGlide2989
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a thundermax with auto tune...

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by producer
something doesn't sound right. That cam should be delivering 100+ ftlbs with that 110 displacement before it reaches 2300 rpms. I would get your cylinder pressure checked to see if they are with-in the same PSI of eachother by no more than a 7% differance. If they are not, one of your cylinders is doing extra work to carry that weeker cylinder; which means loss of torque.
Looking at the dyno runs at Bob Woods website for builds like yours; makes your build look like a joke.
It's worth noting that all the builds on the Woods site (or any site for that matter) show dynos for 110 builds that were not done with the 2010 SEPST. They we all pre-2009 motors and none used the latest version of the SuperTuner which significantly changed the tuning parameters. To date, I have yet to see a single 2010 110 motor produce better results (naturally) using the SEPST. Based on discussions with various tuners they believe alot of the issue is the limitation in the most current version of the software. That being said I have yet to see a single 2010 110 motor that's delivered more performance using Master Tune or any other tuning software.

Please point me to any dyno you've seen or have that has better performance (111/115) on a 2010 110 and that might be a good starting point for me to see if I have an issue with the software, the build or simply the dyno it was measured on.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-25-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
So what did it cost for the dyno, 34 hp and 15 lbs of tq?. Was it worth it?.,
From a riding perspective there's absolutely no comparison. As I shared early on in this thread, the bike's performance is everything I expected and more from a saddle pov. The question is whether I left any performance on the table in the tuning.

The AFR is reasonably flat although some tweaking might help. The riding is a blast and I really couldn't ask for more, but if there is more that's in the build that just hasn't been realized through the tuning, I certainly would like to find it.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Just curious, but what will a 4th Gear pull do to the numbers vs. a 5th gear pull?
All things being equal, a 5th gear SAE pull will produce about 5 more foot pounds of torque than a 4th gear pull. Why? Generally speaking, the higher the transmission gear, the greater the engine loading and the higher the power reading will be.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:24 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand this arguement. The only thing that can be noted about the difference in engine configurations, MIGHT be the stroke. There is not that much difference mechanically, between the old and new twin cam configurations. That's hardly an arguement when you are talking about the kind of modifications that you did to your engine.

I would seriously get your cylinder pressure checked.

And to the gentleman that said that your bike isn't broke in yet; if you put a bike on a dyno and tune it, I gaurentee you that those rings will be seated after the tune is done. That motor is as broke in, as it is going to get. You want to put money on it?????

Originally Posted by Heatwave
It's worth noting that all the builds on the Woods site (or any site for that matter) show dynos for 110 builds that were not done with the 2010 SEPST. They we all pre-2009 motors and none used the latest version of the SuperTuner which significantly changed the tuning parameters. To date, I have yet to see a single 2010 110 motor produce better results (naturally) using the SEPST. Based on discussions with various tuners they believe alot of the issue is the limitation in the most current version of the software. That being said I have yet to see a single 2010 110 motor that's delivered more performance using Master Tune or any other tuning software.

Please point me to any dyno you've seen or have that has better performance (111/115) on a 2010 110 and that might be a good starting point for me to see if I have an issue with the software, the build or simply the dyno it was measured on.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Just seen a set of rings over at another forum out of an engine that had been dynoed and the rear cylinder rings did most definitely not seat, as it is apart now, wurk truk is the poster. Just saying a dyno tune does not guarantee a proper break in and ring seat, in this case any ways.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I did speak with him and he thought it should have delivered more results on the dyno (closer to 120/120). But what's he going to do now.

IMO there are only 3 realistic options if the results should really be higher.
  1. swap out the 50 mm TB for the 58mm and retune
  2. Have the bike retuned by someone more experienced with the 2010 SEST than my dealership
  3. Leave it alone other than continue to tune myself using the Smarttune software and then redyno at another shop to confirm my dealer's results. Currently the Smarttuning is definitely making a modest difference to the tuning that can definitely be felt in the saddle. I hope to have it dynoed in the coming weeks to see if the results are improved.
What's surprising to me is that I have yet to see a single 2010 110 that has delivered any better results than mine. Granted there aren't alot of them on the road yet that have had engine upgrades however the SEST changed rather substantially for 2010 which appears to be limiting the tuning capabilities.

If anyone has seen any 2010 110 engine upgrades (no blowers or turbos) that have generated better than 111hp/115ft-lbs I'd be very interested.
Your problem is not the 58mm TB so forget the swap to the 50mm, I am at 108 square with a 103" using the 58 and a little SE 251 camset and not even really tuned yet. 08 FLHX with SEPST no smart tune

Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Thumbs up

if there is more that's in the build that just hasn't been realized through the tuning, I certainly would like to find it.
If you want to find out for sure, contact Joe's Cycle Repair

http://www.joescyclerepair.com/

Quick Reply: 111hp/115ft lbs...should I be disappointed?