Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD/HK Navigation vs. Harley Quest GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Flying Ace
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD/HK Navigation vs. Harley Quest GPS

I haven't had the chance to see how well the stock radio navigation looks or works.

How is it compared to a normal GPS, like the Harley Quest?

Old 07-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Default RE: HD/HK Navigation vs. Harley Quest GPS

I looked at one. It does not show the map. It only gives written directions. I like to see the map. I bought a Quest 2. It has the entire US in it and you don't have to download maps.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Quest is a decent unit, but the Harley mounting system is a POS. They break easily, and are expensive to replace.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:10 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

peek a boo bob is right. we broke 3 on a ride to billings 2 weeks ago. i think you also get the audio/vocal prompts.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Harry Manback
Cruiser

I went with a Garmin 2610, and RAM mount. This has become the defacto standard for bikes over the past couple years. Big screen, full maps, solid state, water proof (for all intent), and expandable. Garmin has discontinued manufacture of the 2610, but still pledges to support them, so you can find a great deal on them. I got mine with a ton of options and 2GB memmory card for 499.00

Here is a pick installed, I like the look and functionality...

[IMG]local://upfiles/13556/158E7D6DB179494CB7189D2E75BC4091.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-22-2006, 05:17 AM
pointswhat
Road Captain

Garmin has a new model out now called the Zumi 550. It is designed specifically for motorcycles with such features as a large touchscreen and buttons on the left side instead of the right. Haven't had a chance to see one in the wild yet so not sure how well they will work but if it works half as good as my other garmin its pretty damn good.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Steele
Cruiser

Yeah that Garmin Zumi 550 looks nice. Not due out until October. $1000.00 ??????????

Old 07-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Flying Ace
Cruiser

I have the quest on my Ultra now. So far no problems.

I guess what I meant to ask is..Which is better?

I'm lined up for a FLHTCUSE2 that comes with Nav, but I'm not sure the Nav is that great on the HK system.

From what I'm hearing, the Quest is a better unit as far a function goes.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

I got the HK Nav system when I got my '06 SE Ultra and just returned from a 3700 mile trip with it. Just for grins, I also took along the Quest to compare the two.;

Issure #1: The HK unit will not let you put in a route and insert several way points along that route. You must program each place you want to go as it's own destination, navigate to that waypoint and then manually select the next place you want to go. The Garmin (and every other unit I know of) will "autoroute" to the next point in your route once it sees that the current way point has been hit.

Issue #2: Both units would get random on me, at times telling me to turn in places should not be turning. The HK unit was especially bad telling me to turn at places were there was no road or to turn right when there was only a road to my left. In one instance the HK unit had me making a big circle over and over and over.... Those were the times I really wish the HK unit would show you a map. In fairness, however, both units seemed to work fine in cities and over major highhways. Just look out if you want off the beaten path or decide to go up that Forest Service road that's closed in the winter.

Issue #3: The HK unit is well integrated into the HK Entertainment system and it's nice to not have extra "stuff" hanging off the console. It's also nice to have the Nav announcements come through whether I'm making a phone call, talking with my passenger or listening to a few tunes.

Issue #4: The Quest can be preloaded with all the maps you think your cruising area will cover. The HK unit, on the other hand, cannot be explicitly told what to load. When you activate your destination it looks at its memory and if the required maps aren't there it asks you to insert the Nav disk. Quite the inconvenience when you're crusing down the highway listening to Born to Be Wild and don't want to be interrupted with such nonsense.

Would I spend $1000 and purchase the HK GPS again? Probably not, even though I like the integration. For that matter, I wouldn't purchase the HK entertainment system again. Again the integration is nice and the controls aren't quite so confusing after you've practiced for months with them but the unit just won't pump out enough volume through the headsets for these old ears and it's impossible to read the display if you are wearing polorized sunglasses.

Hope that helps a bit.

Crazie Dave

Old 07-24-2006, 03:50 AM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great insight Dave .. thanks for the info, I know it will be helpful when the time comes for that GPS unit.

Quick Reply: HD/HK Navigation vs. Harley Quest GPS