Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any deals at Canadian Dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010 | 03:59 PM
Rick Lee
|
Advanced
Default Any deals at Canadian Dealers?

Looked around in the Atlantic and Ontario when I bought my '09 Road King. All dealers had same price, MSRP as on the web site. When I tried to talk price they told me they would sell me whatever I wanted but through my local dealer. No negotiation on price. Have you had they same experience?

Last edited by Rick Lee; 01-25-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:59 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master

Deals at Canadian Dealers not on your life Mr Deeley would never hear of it...

Old 01-26-2010 | 02:45 PM
ultraherbie
Cruiser

I got $400 off delivery and $500 in store credit. I talked to 4 dealers in Ontario, 3 dealers told me to go to the Canadian Harley web site for a price.

Old 01-26-2010 | 03:43 PM
Cruiser

The only deal you'll get a Canadian Harley dealer is a great deal of aggravation.

Our dollar is 5 % off the American $, yet our wonderful dealers still need to charge a 25 % premium on the bikes and parts.

I truly suggest you search craigslist, ebay and other avenues and purchase the bike you want in the US. Granted it won't be brand new but there are tons of deals out there and most of the people selling their respective Harley actually take care of them. Same goes for parts, get them in the US, even if it ends up being the same price after shipping and duty, maybe if more of us did this instead of putting up with the Deeley monopoly, some of the dealers with have the ***** to say and do something with Deeley. As long as we keep supporting them, we'll keeping getting screwed.

Sorry for the RANT, but here in Winnipeg we have 2 dealerships, 1 is completely incompetent run by idiots and the other (because of no competition from the first one) couldn't care less if the never sold anything unless it was MSRP or more and charged you as much as humanly possible for "service".

Old 01-26-2010 | 03:47 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Even if you did get a deal, the you'd have to pay a butt load of taxes just to bring it into the USA.

Old 01-26-2010 | 03:54 PM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Maimas
Even if you did get a deal, the you'd have to pay a butt load of taxes just to bring it into the USA.
Actually that's incorrect, because of NAFTA, we don't have to pay any duty because the motorcycle is manufactured in the US. The only taxes you pay above purchasing the same used bike in Canada is the 5 % GST and a $ 295.00 fee to the Canadian Registror of Motor Vehicles.

Now feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, if you can find me two idetntical HD motorcycles with roughly the same mileage, the same equipment/extras and the US motorcyle is not substantially more than a 5 % savings I'll eat my words, until then good luck buying one for less in Canada

Old 01-26-2010 | 05:48 PM
Rick Lee
|
Advanced

I read the guys in the States price shopping. That's one thing I disliked about my purchase was the monopoly and no dicker sticker pricing.

Old 01-26-2010 | 06:43 PM
RexBuck
Road Master

I've heard they have been offering a discount for 09s. Beyond that, don't expect any deals. Deeley's markup seems to be about 10%. I think they lock in an exchange rate every 3 months or so - so their Canadian price isn't floating around day by day (what an opportunity for a super-screwing if that were the case). So, the current Canadian prices are about right.

You won't get rid of Deeley - they have the franchise for Canada and if you look at the history were granted that quite awhile ago when they helped management buy Harley back from AMF.

As far as buying US bikes off of eBay or Craigslist, if you feel confident in doing that, I figure you can probably save $3 to $5 thousand. Might meet a bit of antagonisim from some Canadian dealers if you want them to do the servicing - buy a manual and do it yourself. A lot of Canadian dealers are bringing US bikes up by the truckload but doing it yourself will get a better bike for less $.

Old 01-26-2010 | 08:51 PM
julesdain
Road Captain
Veteran: Canadian Forces

Might meet a bit of antagonisim from some Canadian dealers if you want them to do the servicing
I could see your point but I would hope that didn't happen for the simple reason that dealers have to understand that Canadians are not dumb and will go to where the best deal is. The prices are on the internet and I can see what I will pay in Canada vice the US. In the end the dealers are also making money by doing the servicing based on the shop labour rate I saw on my last bill. I have to say that I have a US bike and my dealer in Regina has not given me any grief at all. However on that note realize too that the bike has to be used or the US dealer will not sell it to you.

Old 01-27-2010 | 08:32 AM
chek
Intermediate

Talked to several Western Canada dealers prior to putting a deposit on my new Limited at Kootenay Harley Davidson in Cranbrook. All were willing to deal, within reason.
The only one that would not (???) was the Vancouver dealer/Canada wide HD distributor Fred Deeley. Quote from their salesperson (Warren) "Why would I drop my price for you when someone else will buy it for the full price?".
As well, I did a retail price comparison on accessories between US and Canadian HD parts websites. Canadian pricing (read Fred Deeley again) averages 35 to 50 percent higher cost than American retail.

Quick Reply: Any deals at Canadian Dealers?