Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody use the CB on the Ultra's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Does anybody use the CB on the Ultra's?

Just changed rides, a '99 Roadking to a new Ultra Limited 103. Trying to figure out this advanced audio system. Anyhow, does anyone use the CB? Do you talk to the truckers? other bikers?
if so, what channels do you use? Since I push the limits, I was thinking that I would be able to monitor the truckers to find out where the speed traps are at. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
jackja25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never used it for monitoring. But do use it in group rides or to speak to friends on long trips. I believe you will also find that with the Ultra riding over 80 is not worth the gas milage. IMHO.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM
UltraEd
Intermediate

Congrats on the new ride.....I have an 08 Ultra with the CB. I usually wear the half helmet when traveling, found the CB to be a pain in the a$$ while riding. Used it one time for about 6 hours, its good to have in case of emergency. My main complaint with the CB/Radio is more personal, I don't like the Music, CB right next to my ears. I'd rather hear it from the speakers. Good Luck.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

I use my CB any time I am riding with a group I helped form here in metro Denver. My buddy usually takes lead and I ride tailgun, we communicate via CB. We also use the comms if it is just he and I riding together as it makes for fun times shootin' the breeze, communicating where we want to turn, etc.

If I am riding with another group that I ride with (Blue Knights), I definitely have the CB on and use it for comms & coordinating the ride.

If I'm doing a solo road-trip, I usually keep my CB on Ch. 19...that way if there is any chatter about road-blockages, etc., I will hear 'em.

I have talked to a few truckers here and there...usually when they are 'wishing they were riding'...

Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I use mine on Group rides also or riding with a buddy also use the intercom when wife is with me. We have some of our best conversations when we are on the bike.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 AM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with the others, I use it to talk with my buddy on trips or just out riding, don't use it much talking to truckers. Ride safe

Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried mine once. To me it was more noise than it was worth. Don't do alot of group riding where I need to talk to someone.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 AM
dynodon89
Advanced

Like many others here, if on group rides I like the CB to communicate. I am Ride Captain for a few groups and CB is wonderful as long as most riders have it. We still use hand signals though just in case.

The quality of the helmet speakers can make a big difference in how much you enjoy the CB AND the sound system. Since I always wear a 3/4 or full face, the speakers are of little use to me, and I don't like disturbing everyone else with blaring speakers. Also, if riding with CB and someone makes a boneheaded remark about "locals" while at a gas station or riding through a populated area, and it goes over a few speaker systems, you may learn how to quickly exit!

My wife and I ride separate bikes and having a CB to communicate with her is necessary and fun. Sometimes if riding alone, or if I just want to find out what is going on down the road, I will go to channel 19 to talk with the truckers, some will call you "road lice" but most ride themselves and are OK with bikers, as always, you respect them, they respect you.

As for other channels, some riding clubs or groups use a specific channel, but Channel 1 or 2 is usually where I have found most bikers. When riding with a group, just ask someone else what channel they use.

Don

Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I have it if I need it to get assistance if cell coverage doesn't exist in the area, otherwise, I don't use it for anything.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 AM
locodude
Road Captain

would like to listen to it through the speakers but since that is not possible I don't use it at all.

Quick Reply: Does anybody use the CB on the Ultra's?