Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody use the CB on the Ultra's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:23 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like most, I've used mine for group rides more than truckers. I just never got into the whole CB thing. I have tried it a couple times for speed monitoring, but since I don't usually ride much over 75 to 80 it just didn't seem to be worth it. When I ride, I'm usually more interested in seeing what's around me than watching the road stripes go by at high speed.

I did get a real kick out of it a couple years ago when I was heading into St Louis. I must have been about 2 miles behind a group of Gold Wing riders. Those folks chattered for miles and it was fun screwing with them. I'd get on and try to disguise my voice to sound like one of the guys in the group. I was just good enough that I fooled them at one point. I told them I needed to pull over. Next thing I know they are sitting on the side of the interstate and I whiz by.

A couple miles down the road they are back on their bikes and chatting away. So I dropped this one in on them. "Hey man, I never told you this, but I think I love you."

I think they must have rode for 10 miles in silence. I can see them now, trying to figure out which one of their own group was falling for the other one. :-)

Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Great when riding with a group! And sometimes hilariously funny. Run 19 when by myself, but turn the squelch way up so I only hear stuff close around me.

I don't think you can get great range on a bike no matter what you do. No real ground plane. I have never checked my SWR because it just hasn't been handy to do so. I'm pretty sure it will be different with two up v. one up. Then you add a bag on top of the tour pac and that could change it also. I finally just decided the heck with it. It ain't gonna "talk" like a radio in a 4 or 18 wheeler no matter what I do, so I just use it and hope the SWR is close enough I don't cook the finals in the little thing. Probably will last a long time as long as I don't get on there and recite the Getteysburg address or something.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use my CB most of the time whether group riding or solo.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
slickrik657
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The handheld CB (costs about a hundred bucks at dealer) is what my buddies and I use for communication.... Plays through the speakers, no headset necessary. If you use it at your normal riding position without leaning over into airflow, it is crystal clear. We have used these for several years going to Sturgis! The old fashioned CB handset accessory is definitely the way to go. The passenger/rider intercom will not work with this option as far as I know (because the speakers need to work).

Good luck and happy riding!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
ianholt60
Stage II

Hi.
I have'nt used this.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Mike-09Ultra
5th Gear

I've used the CB in groups like most here... don't care for the comms / vox thing. Can't listen to the radio and converse with passengers very well. There is either something I am doing wrong or it is a POS.

Any other comments on the vox / comms / CB?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
rhaneski
Cruiser

Because the CB is intergrated with the radio its a pain in the butt to monitor channel 19. Everytime someone breaks your squelch level your radio,cd or aux input mutes to hear the cb. So you have to keep the squelch High which could make you miss the 20 on smokey.
We use it on group rides but not on channel 19. Went Florida to Connecticut and back at 5-10 miles over limit and no tickets without monitoring the CB.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Channel 1 on a group ride is the standard cb channel. I use mine on group rides with a clip on mic I built that clips to my strap on my half helmet. Other than that I don't use it unless I am on a trip and run into some traffic problem, then I turn it on lon enough to find out what is going on.