Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody use the CB on the Ultra's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm so glad to have found this thread on CB'z! I have a question about the range/distance these stock radios are capable of considering the stock antenna which accompanies them, and has anyone checked the SWR's produced with the tiny antenna?
I have a standard Glide without a stereo, and have considered stuffing my built to the hilt Cobra model 25, w "Astatic" noise canceling mic and "Connex" board into the stereo location. I, like others don't think it viable for the whole world around me to hear it either. So I would like to consider a non helmeted earpiece with witch to listen, as I am likely to wear a different helmet for different riding conditions. Are wires from the unit to a headset a problem for anyone, or is their a wireless unit preferred I personally would install a 36' "Firestick" antenna instead of the stocker.
If the H-D radio was not Eight to Ten times more expensive than any other CB on the market, I would've probably already had one. I don't use mine regularly, but It's come in handy having one for reasons as has already been mentioned here.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Have had my Ultra for ove 3 years and have yet to use it.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by locodude
would like to listen to it through the speakers but since that is not possible I don't use it at all.

I thought it did come out over the speakers?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM
dynodon89
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical stock CB range is a mile or two, especially on bikes where there is very little metal for a ground plane. I have never checked the SWR on my bike, I suspect it is OK, as long as I get out far enough to do some trucker talk, and reach the tail gunner in my groups I am happy.

Was fun hearing from a couple of people here that had modified radios (anyone remember Linear's?) and the FCC getting on your case. Well, FCC doesn't care about CB anymore, haven't heard of anyone getting stopped for using a high power unit, but then, most people just use the 4 stock watts!

Don

Old 01-25-2010, 04:12 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always use mine on long trips always. When I am by myself I tune to Channel 19 to listen and sometimes talk to the truckers. As others have said, I have many times avoided traffic jams, storms, tips on bypassing major highways in big cities and even talked and followed a trucker on a little known detour through Iowa to avoid a traffic jam. When riding with others that have a CB then we normally tune to something like channel 22 to just talk as we ride. Wouldn't want to have a bike without a CB!!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Son of a Biscuit!! These things have CBs!! Seriously, never used it ... never will. Cell phone in emergency situations only.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pulled my CB out when I put my amp in under the fairing. Just never used it. Now that we have some 3/4 helmets for cross-country riding, I may end up squeezing it back in to play with it on those long straightaways when the radio gets boring after a while.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ricaroo
I thought it did come out over the speakers?
I can set mine to use the speakers but I prefer the headset. My buddy keeps his on speaker (loud!) and I can hear myself talking to him if we're close enough. One of these days I'm going to hang back a ways and give a "wolf whistle" into the mic when he passes a female pedestrian. It would be even more fun if his wife was with him!

I'm planning to check the SWR with the new shorty antenna but I can't seem to find the meter I used to have. Haven't used the darn thing since 1982 or so, but I don't remember tossing it.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

I am a road captain and ride a lot with my local HOG chapter. We use them extensively for communicating with the sweeps and alerting the group to road hazards and etc. I switched out the whips on my Ultra to the J&M shorties. The range is basically line of sight.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
boulderbean
Intermediate
Default Swr

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
I'm so glad to have found this thread on CB'z! I have a question about the range/distance these stock radios are capable of considering the stock antenna which accompanies them, and has anyone checked the SWR's produced with the tiny antenna?
I have a standard Glide without a stereo, and have considered stuffing my built to the hilt Cobra model 25, w "Astatic" noise canceling mic and "Connex" board into the stereo location. I, like others don't think it viable for the whole world around me to hear it either. So I would like to consider a non helmeted earpiece with witch to listen, as I am likely to wear a different helmet for different riding conditions. Are wires from the unit to a headset a problem for anyone, or is their a wireless unit preferred I personally would install a 36' "Firestick" antenna instead of the stocker.
If the H-D radio was not Eight to Ten times more expensive than any other CB on the market, I would've probably already had one. I don't use mine regularly, but It's come in handy having one for reasons as has already been mentioned here.
On our 2007 I purchased one AT10 TNC male-UHF female adapter and one AU08 UHF Male to TNC Female adapter from www.dynamicsignal.com. This allowed me to connect the SWR meter to the back of the radio.
I checked the stock whip and it was acceptable but if I was use the stock setup it I would have adjusted it to be better. I do not, so I left it as is which was less than 3 to 1 but greater than 2 to 1 across the channel range.
I then checked the shorty rubber antenna the Harley dealer gave me. This was off scale and could not be adjusted that I could tell.
I purchased another set from the internet that stated they are adjustable. These were 18 inch and rubber. Not as bad as the other short rubber ones but I was not able to adjust the CB antenna to be what I considered to be even marginal.
Finally I purchased a set of 24 inch fiberglass antennas from Sierra Electronics www.sierra-mc.com . I found the link while on the FireStick website. To use the FireSticks you need a mounting adapter that they do not make or sell, they refer you to Sierra. I purchased the set from Sierra that also came with the adapters.
It took a little doing but I was able to trim the CB antenna to be from 1.5 to 1 at one end of the channel scale to 2.2 to 1 at the other end. This was also the only antenna that picked up any CB chatter while out in my driveway (other than the stock whip).
I have not tested the range by working with a partner - but I don't use it much and the range seems to be ok.

Quick Reply: Does anybody use the CB on the Ultra's?