Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you drop an ultra will it hurt it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:37 PM
miller333
|
Intermediate
Default If you drop an ultra will it hurt it?

It seems like a very simple question. But with all that weight and a simple loss in judgement could mean its on its side. So will the engine guard keep all the shiny bits off the ground or will the molding around the engine guards be smashed to bits?

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:43 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Hate to admit this, but I have, 1x, dropped the scoot.

I was stopping to take a picture on the west side of Independence pass during my Fall Colors road trip...stopped on some loose gravel, put my right foot down and it just slid out away from the bike and I laid my scoot over. Ugh!

Pride aside, it did not hurt the bike at all, no scrapes, no scratches and everything looks just as it did on day of delivery (except dirty). Getting the bike up wasn't an easy task, but I did manage to get her back up on the kickstand and took 10 minutes to gather my wits (what little I have left LOL), pull my head out of my backside (telling myself "don't stop on loose $h!t again dork@$$") and the continued to motor on.

I did have to break out the allen wrench and adjust my right highway peg back to its proper position (about 15 degrees outta whack).

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:52 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

depends on how high you drop it from......

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:53 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior

Dropped my SG last year on vacation. Scraped up the fairing, the fairing mounted mirror, the saddlebag, saddlebag latch and saddlebag lid. Don't have the saddlebag guards.

Oh, and I bent the grab rail, using it to lift it.

Guess it just all depends.

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:55 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Say if you drop on the right, and you pull the handlebar left like your trying to stay on the bike as it falls...the lower right corner of the front fender will contact the ground and cause damage.

Of course I wouldn't know a thing about this...I just saw a buddy do it.

lp

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:55 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

I have dropped mine once in gravel and it didn't hurt anything except my pride.

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:56 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by krazy3
Dropped my SG last year on vacation. Scraped up the fairing, the fairing mounted mirror, the saddlebag, saddlebag latch and saddlebag lid. Don't have the saddlebag guards.

Oh, and I bent the grab rail, using it to lift it.

Guess it just all depends.
If you are lucky (like me)....no, you will not hurt it (dropping from a stand still)...
that is if you do not drop it against something.

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:59 PM
JOE33060
Intermediate

I dropped mine trying to push back into a parking spot and other than feeling stupid nothing happened to the bike. When I dropped the bike at least 4 people came right over to help and i gotta admit they tried to make me feel better about what happened.

Joe

Old 01-24-2010 | 06:01 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by themensh
If you are lucky (like me)....no, you will not hurt it (dropping from a stand still)...
that is if you do not drop it against something.
Yeah, I had actually pulled off the side of the road in the Smoky Mtns Natl Park. Really a place I had no business pulling off at. Tried to turn it around while the wife was off, the bike was pointing uphill pretty good and I lost my footing when it leaned over too far downhill. It might have slid down the asphalt a little. I was just worried about not getting caught under it and was bailing off.

Old 01-24-2010 | 06:13 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

dropped mine in garage when foot slipped out from under me no damage, dropped my 07 RKC on a slow speed drop when cut off by wench on cell blew stop sign in parking lot while I was turning broke leg but no damage to bike.

Quick Reply: If you drop an ultra will it hurt it?