Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams for 88"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Cams for 88"

I've read old cam threads until I can't think straight. So I'm starting another one.....

Bike is a 2001 road king. All stock motor except for AC, true duals, and Rush slip ons. Also have a PCiii installed.

My tensioners are SHOT. I was planning to do a Hillside 98" kit and cams, as well as upgrade to the new style tensioners, oil pump, etc. I have the money to do it all, but I simply can't spend it right now. I'm self employed and work is a little slow right now. Until it picks up a little, I just can't spend the extra money.

I have to address the tensioners now though. I'm headed to Florida the first week of March, and I've got to fix it by then. I'm gonna buy the SE cam plate and oil pump kit, and SE tapered adj. push rods. I'll probably just buy the whole kit from Herko, so it'll be a one stop deal with everything I need. That'll cure my tensioner problems. As long as I'm in there, I want to go ahead and do cams as well. I realize that I'll probably end up having to change cams again later, after I do the big bore, but I'm fine with that.

I mainly ride solo, but do some 2 up as well. When summer gets back again, I'll be doing a lot more 2 up. I'm looking for a little more power, but really don't care about maximum numbers on paper. I can live with the current power, except when I'm in 5th gear. I hate how the bike just gives up at about 65 mph. It makes highway riding a pain at times.

Can anyone recommend a conversion cam that will give me a little more torque, help with the highway riding, and not make my mileage any worse than it already is? The mileage part is a big deal to me. My mpg went to hell when I added the fairing, stretched bags and rear fender. This crappy *** winter gas probably isn't helping either. I don't want to give up any more mpg if I can help it. I'm hoping the big bore will give some of it back to me, but that's gonna have to wait a few more months.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:05 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrews 26G or 37G - fixes the tensioner problem permanently. 37 G gives mid and top without hurting the bottom and works OK on 88 and 95 engines

Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

Should have mentioned that I'm not considering gear drive cams right now. Not sure of my crank run out, and I want to do the swap in a day.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:00 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd use the andrews kit rather than the SE. They use the 07 cam plate, hyd. tensioners, oil pump and the 07 roller bearing chains. As far as cam selection, knowing you're increasing displacement in the future, I'd use a profile that would work for both. The Andrews 37, Woods 6-6, SE 204 will all work well for both displacements. The SE kit is ok, I'd want to get rid of the hivo chain which has sharper edges for the tensioners where the roller chain links have rounded edges. Some would argue the benefit of having the cam bearings pressed in the plate, but parent material bearings have worked in high lift cam, automotive applications for better than 30 years with no problems real or imagined.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mongomark
I'd use the andrews kit rather than the SE. They use the 07 cam plate, hyd. tensioners, oil pump and the 07 roller bearing chains.
That's the same as the Herko kit that I mentioned above. Plus he includes every other small thing needed for the change.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,235 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Herko's conversion kit with Andrews 26N cams. Also ask him for the fuel line crossover quick connect to help with later tank pulls. Reuse your stock pushrods for money saving. Drill out your rocker support oil return holes with #43 drill bit like the Doherty mystfree setup does. You'll be happy with the kit. Wouldn't cost too much to put in a 95" SE flattop kit while you're doing it.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been looking at the 26's, Dawg.

I really want to avoid going through the rockers right now. If I do that, I'll wanna go ahead and do the big bore. And that's gonna lead me to a little more work, and more money. The push rods may be a little more money right now, but they're cheaper than what I'll end up spending if I take it all apart.......... When it does come all apart, I'm definately going 98 over 95 though.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,235 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Well go with the tapered pushrods instead of the regular SE's if you are using the HD rods. Also since you have duals, you only need to drop one side so get one exhaust gasket. It would be cheaper for you to piece out the gaskets instead of getting the cam service kit. I would put new lifters in as well with the new cams.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:39 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd never heard of the Herko's conversion kit. Great info. Just confirms the value of this forum. I'm going to help a friend (which means I'll do most of the work) do a conversion on his 06 Deluxe. I'll definately check this out.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Well go with the tapered pushrods instead of the regular SE's if you are using the HD rods.
Definitely going with the tapered ones.

It would be cheaper for you to piece out the gaskets instead of getting the cam service kit.
Doesn't the Herko kit have everything needed?

I would put new lifters in as well with the new cams.
Noted.

Quick Reply: Cams for 88"