Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 AM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why is it?

Why is it that a complete stranger (chicago HD) can give you a 20% discount on parts and acc. and my local HD dealer , where i purchased the bike and a years worth of accesories cant give me ( or wont) the same discount. And i am sure the Chicago HD dealership is still making money @ 20% off msrp? I do know that in the future i will be doing all of my shopping at Chicago HD ( unless some one has found a better deal)

Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Did you let them know...that you know about better prices elswhere????....

Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bill1nat
Why is it that a complete stranger (chicago HD) can give you a 20% discount on parts and acc. and my local HD dealer , where i purchased the bike and a years worth of accesories cant give me ( or wont) the same discount. And i am sure the Chicago HD dealership is still making money @ 20% off msrp? I do know that in the future i will be doing all of my shopping at Chicago HD ( unless some one has found a better deal)
A lot of it has to do with the fact that dealers that sell with 20% discounts, sell a lot of accessories compared to dealers that don't offer discounts. What their overhead expenses are also has an effect.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went through the same thing. Before I ordered the parts for my winter mods, stopped by my local dealer and asked if they would match the prices I could find online. They said they couldn't. I ordered a few small items from them and the bigger ticket items I ordered from Zanotti's. I am in Illinois, so if ordering through Chicago HD, I would have to pay the sales tax.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 AM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran into this same problem when I bought my new bike. I bought 2 bikes from my dealer this past year, I called the parts manager and complained to him that I could get 20% off parts from HD dealers on the net, and why won't he give the same to me being a loyal customer? He told me that the Motor Campany didn't like the fact that some dealers where doing the discounts and were going to put a stop to it. IMO that's bull. he did offer me 10% if I join there local HOG chapter and would give me a credit for parts for the cost of joining. Still BULL. I buy from Chicago HD and Surdyke HD get my 20% and try to shop during free shipping sales

Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Different business strategies, the dealer I use offers 20% off for a short time (I think it was 3 months) after you buy a bike from him. They also have % off sales a few times a year.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Because a lot of dealers are living in yesteryear and won't admit to themselves that the way people shop for Harley stuff has changed. They still expect people to pay whatever they ask and don't think they need to "match" prices. Maybe this contributes to some of them closing their doors.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Because some dealers are smarter than others.
Parts, accessories and apparel are commodities and the only criteria I use when I buy them is price, nothing else.
Obviously, I'm not the only one.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mail order takes time.

The dealers are counting on you to not want to wait that "time" and pay more for the convenience of having your part now.
Now if they are "out of stock", you'd be a fool to pay full price at the counter only to wait for the part.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 AM
fastalkintn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the dealers close to me gives 20% off of internet but will not give anything off for in store...I do not get it.

Quick Reply: Why is it?