Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS. yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just read all these posts and it seems about 10 to 1 in favor of ABS. I tried it and it works great. I call bullshit on these guys saying they can out stop ABS.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
isac
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the ABS..some day you won't regret it.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM
harleymike77
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by isac
Go for the ABS..some day you won't regret it.
I agree.........

Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM
IzZy63
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

A B S... all the way it's the new way. and the only way....

Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

For me it's a big yes. I wouldn't have bought an Ultra without it.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

ABS brakes should work on gravel as well as wet roads in hard braking conditions. It's should be standard instead of optional. It's funny a guy will spend $1,000 on an exhaust system they don't need, but would balk at spending $800 for something can will save your skin. Maybe then they wouldn't HAVE to lay their bikes down , to avoid that accident.If you own your bike for 10 years and use the ABS once to avoid a crash situation, I would feel like I got my moneys worth from it.,,

Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gwvulcan
First get the stereo...Check
Then the ABS....
While our at it add the sunroof option...and might as well add a trunk...but why stop there you should add two doors (in your case 4 doors) 4 doors are safer than 2.....you might as well go on and add to more wheels to be really safe and control your breaking...wait a minute I think you see where this is going...maybe you just buy a chevy!
One thing I'm sensing on this topic is that it's the riders with the most riding experience who are the most ardent supporters of ABS. Am I wrong?

Dave - 36 years and counting . . .

Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
I also had been "on the fence" about it on my next bike, (the used ones I have been looking at, the new one I bought,,, ect...) My sentiment was also, "I have been riding since I was 9 yrs old. And since I was 18 on the road. I have only not had a bike for maybe a total of 5 yrs in that time frame. When I have had a bike, I RIDE the crap out of it miles wise. (Maybe not as much as some, and definitely MORE than others.)
I thought, Why do I need that 895.00 option! I have NEVER LAID a bike down trying to panic stop, I have panic stopped on many occasions. But never with an 800 lb bike. Then I watched this video, it's IS the same video you get with a bike you purchase that has ABS.. watch it if your on the fence. And listen to the riders above who have it and love it. I have 40 miles on my 2010 FLHX, I did feel it "Activate" one time when I stopped quicker than normal for a redlight on the way home. I did feel it pulsing.
Also, for the guy above who asked, it ONLY ACTIVATES on the brake YOUR using,, it does NOT automatically do the front if you get on the rear hard.
OH,, and now I am off the fence. I ASKED for it on the new bike I bought last week. IF the link doesn't work, just google Harley ABS video, you'll find it somewhere out there.
ABS VIDEO...---> http://revver.com/video/1003063/harl...raking-system/
Thanks for posting link. Answered many of my questions. Looking forward to having it on my Limited.

Walt

Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM
jward
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
One thing I'm sensing on this topic is that it's the riders with the most riding experience who are the most ardent supporters of ABS. Am I wrong?

Dave - 36 years and counting . . .
Dave hit it....experience shows that anything can happen regardless of how safe you ride...

Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Njmike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will never own any other bike without ABS.

Quick Reply: ABS. yes or no?