Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS. yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A quick example of how I feel about ABS. I too had a Dyna FXD and loved it. I remarried and wanted more comfort for my wife and I. I bought a 09 EGC without Abs. wasn't thinking! We were coming home one day and it started raining. I was trying to beat the rain and was going a little fast. needed to stop for a crossroads and when I grabbed the brake, I felt the rear tire lockup. I was lucky I had enough room to let off and reapply before the bike got sideways. That started me thinking! I called the Dealer and ask him if I could get ABS installed on my 09. He said no way, it has to come from the factory with it. I looked at buying another 09 with ABS, but they wanted over 4 thousand difference. I looked at a 2010 Limited....really the bike to buy IMO. Too much money! I'm retired and living on a fixed income. I sold my 09 EGC and found a really nice 08 UC 105th Anni. with low miles with ABS. The first thing I did was take it to the Dealer and got the 2010 upgrade for the ABS. Sorry for the long post, but yes I think you should get ABS. I hope the guy's who say they can stop better without it, never have a situation where they are proven wrong. When you lock the rear tire it's going around. If you have no where to go but straight and you can't let up before it get's siseway's, you are going to highside, and that's not good!!! GET ABS, JMHO.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first bike (a BMW R1200C) had ABS. I rode it daily in all kinds of weather and the ABS unit was always reliable. Having it previously made it an easy decision for me -- gotta have it on any bike I get. ABS was one of the selling points for me getting a RK.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
jward
Tourer

Originally Posted by gwvulcan
We can give you all the safety equipment in the world, but that is no substitute for knowing how to ride. Have the false impression that you are safer because of ABS brakes is like thinking you are safer because you have an airbag in your car. If you know how to ride/drive and avoid collisions you are safer, nothing else matters.
Don't think anyone is implying that ABS is a substitute for knowing how to ride....it is a tool that helps in some situations...and yes, I am light years safer in a car with airbags...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

No way I'd buy a bike without it if it's available. Why not give yourself that extra security? Years ago I was in the car business; I would constantly get old guys in the showroom telling me that they don't want ABS on the new car because they are better than the system; which is crap, no one can brake faster than that. These were the same guys that didn't want seat belts years before that; they wanted to be..."Thrown clear of the crash". (that was my favorite thing to hear) The system works great; might as well take it.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 PM
jward
Tourer

If I go through the rest of my riding life and never activate the ABS, GREAT!....but ya know, there just might be that one time.......

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM
scooplove
Tourer

YES rhymes with ABS, doesn't it? There's your answer right there.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
No way I'd buy a bike without it if it's available. Why not give yourself that extra security? Years ago I was in the car business; I would constantly get old guys in the showroom telling me that they don't want ABS on the new car because they are better than the system; which is crap, no one can brake faster than that. These were the same guys that didn't want seat belts years before that; they wanted to be..."Thrown clear of the crash". (that was my favorite thing to hear) The system works great; might as well take it.
That's funny I remember being in a driver's safety course and the Instructor asked how many People wear seatbelt's. This one guy didn't raise his hand and when asked why not, He said it's safer to be thrown clear of the car. This Instructor went basurk! He asked the guy if he hit something headon, how he would exit the car? After sitting there for what seemed forever, the guy said through the windshield I guess. And you think that's safer, asked the Instructor. I feel the same about ABS. Would not own another bike without it!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
CBNDSDADDY
Advanced

I agree! How could safety be an issue! ABS designed to keep on you the bike in those hairy situations. Dude, it's a no-brainer!

Last edited by CBNDSDADDY; 01-26-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't buy a new bike without ABS. ABS will keep you from skidding in hard braking situations. Why would you not want it?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nope. Not worth the money.

I didn't get it for a couple of reasons. 1 is cost and 2, the newer brembo's are so much better than what has been on the harleys for the last 100 years and those (at least on my 99 king) were fine, so why pay 900.00 more for something that may be only slightly better in SOME situations that I may never encounter & quite possibly worse in others. I especially would wait for a few more years until they get them a little more perfected and more reasonably priced before I would get them. They will probably be forced on us in a few more years anyway so just wait until they become standard. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: ABS. yes or no?