Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS. yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
Here we go again
Where exactly are we going? Again?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

never had it prior to this year(30yr+ riding) & will never have another bike without it. Felt strange at first but after practicing some panic stops with ABS I'm convinced it was money well spent..

Old 01-23-2010, 10:06 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

A few days ago I had an old man pull out from a side street and was so close I knew I could no maneuver left or right and try to brake hard. I have had close calls before but this was by far the worse, I grabbed my front brake hard and laid on the rear and thinking I was not going to stop in time I grabbed the front with everything I had, the whole time thinking I'm going to T-bone this car. It stopped and it stopped quicker than I have ever stopped before on any motorcycle I have ridden. The bike stayed absolutely straight and never for a moment did I feel a loss of control. I'm sold and will always get it if it's an option. BTW I have been riding for more than 30 years and put 18k miles on this bike in the last year.

Last edited by EricD10563; 01-23-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you should get it. No I don't have it.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the comparisons I've read, only some of the best professional riders in the world can safely stop in shorter distances on non-ABS bikes than on ABS-equipped bikes, and even then the differences were marginal.

And those comparisons were under controlled conditions that did not include the oh-****-that-unlicensed-driver-just-pulled-left-in-front-of-me test.

Get ABS.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by 07fxdwg
Is ABS really necessary? I see bikes both ways. Looking to move up from a Dyna to a Street Glide. Looking for opinions. Pros? Cons? Thanks.
My new bike has ABS and it actually came on today as I was approaching too fast for a stop light. Guess what... it stopped me perfectly with no wild tire slipping. It is worth the extra money.. you'd be foolish not to get it.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Just my opinion...I would say no...It would depend on how long you have been riding...Harley's abs does not impress me...But for newer riders they give a false sense of security...(I am sure I will get flamed for that comment)
On the other hand, a recent issue of Cycle World magazine tested a Harley with ABS. A Wide Glide I believe but I am not sure without looking at the issue. Anyway Don Canet, the magazine's road test editor, spoke very favorably about the braking system.

He stopped the Harley in less distance then it took him to stop a Honda CBR600. And I think the most important factor would be control during a stop. Apparently, at least in that example, ABS is an improvement.

I have been riding for a lonnng time. But don't have as many miles as the decades would indicate. This is because very few of my miles have been 'cruising' to the lake, mountains, or across the desert. The vast majority of my miles have been riding in big city traffic.

So I feel more accomplished then most in my abilities. That being said I'm not ashamed to admit that there is a possibility that technological advancements may be beneficial. No flame, just my opinion.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 01-23-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM
chek
Intermediate

I am getting it on my new bike (standard issue). The way I look at it, it will be mandated on all bikes sooner than later.
If you purchase a bike with it today, your trade/resale value will be better when the time comes, as I suspect that it will be a mandatory item on all road going bikes built after a certain timeline.
And it works. Hope you never have to use it, but, like the systems used on cages, it works. Manufacturers may still have some development issues on bikes, but the pros outweigh the cons.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had several street bikes and none have had ABS. If I was buying a new bike and had the option of getting ABS, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
Tom

Old 01-23-2010, 10:37 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
never had it prior to this year(30yr+ riding) & will never have another bike without it. Felt strange at first but after practicing some panic stops with ABS I'm convinced it was money well spent..
Just to add to this I have spent time practicing in a parking lot using ABS but I always had in the back of my mind I might dump it by washing out the front wheel, rear does not bother me as much to many days of motocross.

The braking in my above post was much harder than any braking I ever practiced before. I thought I might break the front brake lever thats how hard I was squeezing.

What I learned from parking lot practice was to trust the system and squeeze hard, I mean really hard.

Quick Reply: ABS. yes or no?