Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FLHTK Radio/CB/Intercom setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Jtsantes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2010 FLHTK Radio/CB/Intercom setup

I must be old, stupid, illiterate or all three when it comes to understanding how to set up all the audio options on my new bike...which I love. I've come to the conclusion that it must be rocket science. This is my first FL so audio stuff on a bike is new to me. Can anyone answer a simple question: is it possible to use the intercom w/o having the radio on? Any way to squelch the radio other than putting it's volume control on mute? You'd think there be a way to talk w/o having to listen to music, etc. Also, the last time I used a CB radio was 40 years ago. Either the CB part of the radio is broken, or no one uses CBs anymore. Can't even raise a trucker on any of the usual channels (19, 17,etc). Have all the truckers gone cellular?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Surely your bike came with an owner's manual. The radio stuff is in there.

It is a bit complicated, but the first thing is to understand what switch does what. The right hand switch, closest to the kill switch, controls the channel up and down, and when its pushed in, it changes function; radio, weather band, cd player. The cb, intercom, setup have soft buttons on the left side of the radio head. Once in setup, you can adjust squelch, volume, muting, etc with the switch on the left hand. There are two switches on the left, the one closest to the fairing changes sound effects on the radio, bass, treble, fader, and balance.

Just explore, you'll learn it.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Jtsantes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Naturally I read the manual, but it still is somewhat confusing with all the tradeoffs in +/-Vox, Fader, CB vs Intercom options with AVC, etc. Bt you're right, I'll figure it out in time. Just can't seem to raise anyone on the CB.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Use the PTT switch and lower the squelch setting. If squelch is too high, people may be responding to you but you can't hear them because the squelch is set too high.