Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Primary oil change

Bought my 09 Ultra in July, had the 1000 mile check done and had all synthetics put in. Today, at 3816 miles, I changed engine oil after a ride, and decided to take off the primary cover. The fasteners are so damn tight, can't get them to unloosen. Questions:

a. Is it better to remove the cover when the engine is hot or cold?
b. Should the screws be so tight after only 2800 miles?
c. Should I use an impact drill with the torx driver to remove them or take back to dealer and tell them to remove them.

Do you think some dealers don't remove the screws or change the oil on the first change or am I paranoid?

I can't believe the dealer would install the fasteners so tight that they don't come out.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:35 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yeah, they get tight. I had to chisel one to get it loose on mine. I bought one of those impact drivers that you smack with a hammer for the next time. I also put anti-seize on the threads since then and haven't had a problem.

You might try rapping the torx bit with a hammer to see if you can break it loose. I know when I'm working on cars, I've actually tightened the bolt a little and that was enough to break it loose. I don't know if i would try that here or not.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:39 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Sounds scary to me. Those screw are so easy to strip. The specs for tightening them are like 88 to 108 INCH lbs. Something like that. I always torque mine to 100 INCH lbs. note that I said INCH. Try a longer ratchet and bump it with the palm of your hand to loosen them. When you re-install them to 100 INCH lbs it won't seem like it's tight enough but it is You don't want to strip one because it's usually the threads in the primary cover that strip and not the bolt. Good luck

Old 01-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Bought my 09 Ultra in July, had the 1000 mile check done and had all synthetics put in. Today, at 3816 miles, I changed engine oil after a ride, and decided to take off the primary cover. The fasteners are so damn tight, can't get them to unloosen. Questions:

c. Should I use an impact drill with the torx driver to remove them or take back to dealer and tell them to remove them.

Do you think some dealers don't remove the screws or change the oil on the first change or am I paranoid?

I can't believe the dealer would install the fasteners so tight that they don't come out.
This is a tough call. The service manual calls for 84 to 108 Inch pounds of torque for these bolts. also a sequence for them to be tightened. I hope the service guy didn't use loctite on them. I think I would take it back to the dealer and make sure it is torqued properly and have him put some anti sieze on the threads. Then after riding it home, change the fluid. I just changed my Primary fluid. I rode the bike and got it hot, brought it home, put it on the lift, Drained the fluid, removed the cover while it was draining.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Gawd loctite would be a disaster.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
This is a tough call. The service manual calls for 84 to 108 Inch pounds of torque for these bolts. also a sequence for them to be tightened. I hope the service guy didn't use loctite on them. I think I would take it back to the dealer and make sure it is torqued properly and have him put some anti sieze on the threads. Then after riding it home, change the fluid. I just changed my Primary fluid. I rode the bike and got it hot, brought it home, put it on the lift, Drained the fluid, removed the cover while it was draining.
That brings up a good point. I had drained my fluid before I tried to take off my cover. When I couldn't get it loose. I wuz pizzed. The dealer had done the previous service and with no fluid in the primary, I now didn't have a way to get it back there.

ALWAYS make sure you can get your primary screws loose BEFORE draining the primary.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab

Do you have a service manual? The first thing I did when I decided to do my own service was buy a manual, Then a inch lb and ft lb torque wrench. I already had the torx head bit's and other tool's. Pm me and I'll send you a copy of the torque spec's. Good luck. I already knew I could get my bolts loose before I drained the fluid. Just me.

Last edited by Ronp42; 01-23-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:45 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm assuming that you're talking about the round cover that is normally removed to put oil in the primary and not the entire outer primary cover.

I've read in several threads that these screws are extremely tight from the factory. I'm betting that the dealer didn't change the primary oil when he did the first service. If they had been removed when the service was done and then reinstalled at the proper torque, they'd come right out. That is unless the "tech" who worked on it put red loctite on them.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Ramrod1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were so tight on my 04 RK that I stripped the torx head out on two of them! Had to drill the heads out to get the cover off, then used a vise grip on what was left to get them out of the primary cover!! Talk about a nightmare. Once new screws were torqued to proper inch pounds never had any more problems. Why they have them so tight from the factory, only the Harley Gods know.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Lass7711
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the things on my "round toit" list is to replace the factory screws with stainless allen head screws.

Quick Reply: Primary oil change