Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:56 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

The sad part is, if the cover has never been removed since assembly at HD not only did they not change the fluid at your 1K service but the set up procedure for the bike calls for the cover to be removed for initial set up. I did a new bike set up (out of the crate) on a '09 Street Glide that had NO oil in the primary. That's why HD wants the dealer to inspect ALL fluids during set up.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Bought my 09 Ultra in July, had the 1000 mile check done and had all synthetics put in. Today, at 3816 miles, I changed engine oil after a ride, and decided to take off the primary cover. The fasteners are so damn tight, can't get them to unloosen. Questions:

a. Is it better to remove the cover when the engine is hot or cold?
b. Should the screws be so tight after only 2800 miles?
c. Should I use an impact drill with the torx driver to remove them or take back to dealer and tell them to remove them.

Do you think some dealers don't remove the screws or change the oil on the first change or am I paranoid?

I can't believe the dealer would install the fasteners so tight that they don't come out.
My two cents:
Remove when cold
Use an impact driver for stubborn bolts
Only use a good quality T27 torx bit
When tightening forget the torque values. I tighten until the bolt is slightly snug and then 1/4 turn. After that walk away and you will be good to go next time you need to remove the derby cover.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
A 3/8" air impact has worked perfectly for 6 years removing derby cover screws. A quality bit makes all the difference, I use snap on and matco bits and have only stripped ONE torx bolt in over 5000 services! Thats 25,000 derby cover screws and only ONE stripped!!!
+1 on this, you also have to assume they are going to be hard to get out. If you don't and you "limp" wrist the pressure on the torq screw, it will strip very easy. I suspect that half the problems are due to one of these 2 or both.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:19 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

I would never recommend anyone to forget torque specs. Snug to somone might not be someone else. It takes half a second longer to do the job properly, which is a heck of alot quicker than ez outing a broken bolt.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Lass7711
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=Ronp42;6140724]
Originally Posted by Lass7711
One of the things on my "round toit" list is to replace the factory screws with stainless allen head screws.[/quote

I would do some checking before doing that. Stainless bolts are not stronger. They are used when corrosion is present. In fact, stainless will gauld and give problems. I would use the standard metal plated bolts that harley provides and torque them to specs. Some mechanics think they are so good, they can tighten by feel and get it close. Maybe some can, but it's better to use a torque wrench. Use the sequence in the manual as well.
You could be right. I'm no metallurgist. I do know that stainless is normally softer that plated steel and depending on the alloy, can be very soft. I use anti seize on the stock screws so I may never have a problem. I dislike torx screws like some people dislike mustard.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts
Thumbs up Cold worked

Went out this am when the bike was cold and with a good bit on one of those sliding T handles so I could get even pressure on both sides, I gave it a hard turn and it popped loose. Went to next one and one by one they came out without stripping, so I guess cold is better. However now I can't drain the primary because it says to do so when hot. Also my Ultra has a rubber 'O' instead of a gasket like my Deuce had. I have a spare gasket but not an 'O' ring. So tomorrow will head up to the stealer to get one for my part locker in case it leaks. Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Went out this am when the bike was cold and with a good bit on one of those sliding T handles so I could get even pressure on both sides, I gave it a hard turn and it popped loose. Went to next one and one by one they came out without stripping, so I guess cold is better. However now I can't drain the primary because it says to do so when hot. Also my Ultra has a rubber 'O' instead of a gasket like my Deuce had. I have a spare gasket but not an 'O' ring. So tomorrow will head up to the stealer to get one for my part locker in case it leaks. Thanks for all the help.
+1 on getting them out without stripping the head. I like the o-ring much better than the flat gasket. I have a spare, but didn't use it when I changed mine the first time. I know metal expands when it get's hot, but all of it should expand together not causing a problem. Not trying to tell you what to do, just a suggestion. I would put the cover back on and tighten the bolts slightly. Ride the bike until it's hot, bring it home and change the fluid. Look at the magnet and see if it has any metal on it. Then with a torque wrench, I would go with no more than 90 inch pounds. and use the sequence. It's there for a reason!! Enjoy your new Ultra

Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just snug them and take it for a ride to get the oil hot but enough will drain cold that I don't think you'll ever notice the difference. I've reused the rubber O without replacing every time w/o leaks. Another tip is to put the Torx 27 in a 1/4" socket and use the socket wrench to you can get pressure on it. Replace the screws with the chome allen bolt set and save yourself some worry.

Last edited by gmc; 01-25-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I would never recommend anyone to forget torque specs. Snug to somone might not be someone else. It takes half a second longer to do the job properly, which is a heck of alot quicker than ez outing a broken bolt.
Absolutely correct harleytuner, we had a mechanic in our shop who was a bull, didn't know his own strength. He would stretch bolt's when he tightened them. I hated to have to work on anything after him. I had to use a cheater bar to break it loose. He didn't understand the value of proper torque. When you over tighten a bolt and stretch it. you ruin it!!

Last edited by Ronp42; 01-25-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

found this out the first time also. had 1 screw so damn tight I stripped it out...luckily I didn't drain the fluid. took to dealer and they used an impact, then put another screw in it for me.

now, I just crack them but just to get them to move, then warm the bike up, loosen them some more to make sure they move, then drain.

and yes +1 on o-rings!

Quick Reply: Primary oil change