Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:22 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Temperature Gauge

I just bought an oil temp gauge for my bike. On the advice of several folks on this forum, I decided to wait until it came before going to NAPA and buying the brass adapter that's required to install the sending unit in the oil pan. When I opened the box there was one in there and it was listed on the parts list on the instruction sheet. Also there are two wires on the harness that plugs in to the sending unit. I have two questions: 1. when did they start including the adapter in the kit and 2. since one of the wires on the harness is a ground do I need to worry about using the thread sealer that is recommended in the instructions. I would assume that the ground wire will ground the sending unit regardless of whether you use the thread sealer or not. They recommended Loctite 565 Thread Sealant, which was a pain in the *** to find. I'm waiting for somebody's advice before I tackle the installation. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The inclusion of the adapter had to be post '06 because I had to buy the Napa fitting. At that time the MoCo had the sensor installed in an oil line. As for the grounding issue, you should be OK with the sealant as long as you use the grounding wire. I wouldn't worry too much because the adapter is a pipe thread which is tappered and designed for better sealing. Good luck with your project.

As a suggestion, while you have the fairing off, it wouldn't be too much work to re-arrange your gauges and put your new oil temp with your oil pressure. I would also recommend putting your oil temp gauge in the top location.

Last edited by soos; 01-22-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
The inclusion of the adapter had to be post '06 because I had to buy the Napa fitting. At that time the MoCo had the sensor installed in an oil line. As for the grounding issue, you should be OK with the sealant as long as you use the grounding wire. I wouldn't worry too much because the adapter is a pipe thread which is tappered and designed for better sealing. Good luck with your project.

As a suggestion, while you have the fairing off, it wouldn't be too much work to re-arrange your gauges and put your new oil temp with your oil pressure. I would also recommend putting your oil temp gauge in the top location.
Thanks, Soos!!! I had thought about moving the the voltmeter to the air temp hole and doing what you suggested. However, I was gonna see how much of a pain it would be to do that after I got the fairing off. I appreciate your help...thanks again!!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hawg08
I just bought an oil temp gauge for my bike. On the advice of several folks on this forum, I decided to wait until it came before going to NAPA and buying the brass adapter that's required to install the sending unit in the oil pan. When I opened the box there was one in there and it was listed on the parts list on the instruction sheet. Also there are two wires on the harness that plugs in to the sending unit. I have two questions: 1. when did they start including the adapter in the kit and 2. since one of the wires on the harness is a ground do I need to worry about using the thread sealer that is recommended in the instructions. I would assume that the ground wire will ground the sending unit regardless of whether you use the thread sealer or not. They recommended Loctite 565 Thread Sealant, which was a pain in the *** to find. I'm waiting for somebody's advice before I tackle the installation. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!!!
The main reason they suggest the pipe thread sealant is to lubricate the threads. You have two different metals in play here. The brass adapter being the softest. Just be careful not to over tighten it.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We want pics!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always try to follow the instructions to the T.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread Sealer

First my kit I bought last year included the adapter. I used just a small amount of the thread sealant. I also put mine on the same side as oil pressure. Follow what the paper says and all should be right. Moving the fuel gauge is not a big problem , just slice the tubing a little and pull the wiring back alittle and you will gain a few inches in length and connectors should reach new home OK.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

HD started including the adapter/bushing in 2009. If you look at the instruction sheet with the oil temp gauge kit, it will show a revision date at the top in July 2009.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hawg08
2. since one of the wires on the harness is a ground do I need to worry about using the thread sealer that is recommended in the instructions. I would assume that the ground wire will ground the sending unit regardless of whether you use the thread sealer or not.
Since the HD sender doesn't ground at the pan you can use sealant if you want. I didn't use any and couldn't see a reason for it, as the pan is under no pressure and the threads are NPT and shouldn't leak. So far so good on mine after three years.

BTW, just ground the sender anywhere on the frame that's handy. Just find an existing small bolt and attach it there, but make sure there is some contact with metal, not just powdercoat.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the same kit and did not use any loctite on the brass fitting. No issues at all. I think the new kit with the adapter came out in early 2009.

Quick Reply: Oil Temperature Gauge