Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing Fairing with Wind

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010 | 04:50 AM
hospitalario
|
6th Gear
Default Batwing Fairing with Wind

Hi everybody
I´m interested in a Batwing fairing for my Heritage Softail 2009
Someone in the spanish forums said me that the batwing with wind or overtaking trucks and heavy vehicles, is ungovernable and very dangerous, What do you think about that?
How works the batwing with high speeds 80 or 90 milles

Thanks

Old 01-22-2010 | 05:10 AM
artt
Cruiser

Who ever told you that never road a motorcycle with a batwing fairing. I've ridden motorcycles with no fairings, fixed fairings and now my Ultra with the batwing.

I was wondering about the effect that wind would have on the front end due to the fairing so I was paying particular attention to the differences when I first bought the Ultra. I found that I couldn't distinguish the difference in handling between the batwing and the fixed fairing. I suppose there has to be, but it's probably something that affects you over time.

In my opinion traveling through the turbulence caused by passing a truck is, if anything, easier with a fairing of any type than with nothing blocking the wind on the front end. I can see why someone might guess that the fairing would act like a sail but they're not considering the contours in the fairings to direct air flow in the desired directions.

Finally, ask your self this. Why are the vast majority of touring bikes sold by HD sold with Batwing fairings? Answer: They work.

Old 01-22-2010 | 06:55 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I rented a batwing and a roadie before buying last month. The fixed fairing was much more stable in the wind and caused much less fork jitter. I didn't pass any trucks, but I was in the desert with some pretty serious cross winds.

Old 01-22-2010 | 06:56 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

Pure BS, I travel at those speeds most of the time and don't have any problems. even with 50 mph sidewinds!

Old 01-22-2010 | 07:00 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master

Never had any real problems with Batwing on my ultra.

Old 01-22-2010 | 07:05 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by gunner11
Pure BS, I travel at those speeds most of the time and don't have any problems. even with 50 mph sidewinds!
A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with a theory. We rented both bikes and swapped back and forth throughout the two days. There is a noticeable difference, but you only see it if you ride both and experience it first hand. Not saying the batwing is unstable. But the shark nose is smoother, especially on sweeping turns at high speed in cross winds. I just liked the stability of the shark nose better. The look grew on me.

Old 01-22-2010 | 07:06 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Ridden lots of bikes with no windscreen and then transitioned into windshields and now the bat-wing. Turbulence is turbulence... It either hits you or what is on the bars. The bat-wing is no worse and IMO a bit better with it's contouring than bikes fitted with just a shield. Without either the wind hits you which to me is more uncomfortable.

Old 01-22-2010 | 07:15 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I rode for years and only installed my wind screen when I took trips of 200 miles or more. I'm kinda hooked now. Guess I'm getting old.

Old 01-22-2010 | 07:59 AM
pbneb
Cruiser

I have a Memphis Shades removable bat wing for my 08 Deluxe. Love It. 30 seconds on-30 seconds off and mounts solid as a rock. It takes a lot of pressure off when riding in a head wind. Makes a long days ride much more comfortable. I have no problems passing trucks or with side winds. I have the 5" windshield on it but am considering putting either the 7" or 9" windshield on it.

Old 01-22-2010 | 08:32 AM
MiddleAgeCrisis
Intermediate

No problems here with the Batwing. I could see why the fixed on the Glide would be MORE stable, not being attached to the forks.

Quick Reply: Batwing Fairing with Wind