Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing Fairing with Wind

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010 | 01:25 PM
pbneb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Thanks for the help but their website is completely uncooperative and no Harley application seems to be available. I'll try the phone number and see if I get anywhere that way.
Thanks again.

Update:
Just got done with a call to Memphis Shades. They confirmed there was no batwing application for any HD model as of yet and had no time estimate for when one might be available. What a way to run a railroad.

Try this Phat performance website, I was just there and it has all the details. I don't know what them guys at Memphis Shades are feeding ya but doesn't seem like good business practice. I will get some pictures of mine for you this weekend

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com...de=2330%2D0016

Old 01-22-2010 | 01:41 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

My 09 Ultra gives me know trouble with trucks, im more concerned with high speed corners when riding aggressively. did rent a road glide because what everybody was saying about the fixed fairing and not a noticeable difference. Lve my Ultra!

Old 01-22-2010 | 01:45 PM
pbneb
Cruiser

Thanks pbneb, After a second call using your part numbers the Memphis Shades Customer Service said they, in fact, do make batwings for both Heritage models and the FatBoy. Seems the nice lady in CS was under the assumption I wanted one for a Softail Standard (?) when I inquired about batwings for Harley Softails. My mistake? Oh well.
Thanks again for your help.
Wrote my last thread before reading this one. Its good you were able to find the information you were looking for. Glad to help.

Old 01-22-2010 | 02:03 PM
jdallenemtp
Road Captain

The batwing is great just ride it

Old 01-22-2010 | 02:14 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Check out the new units from Hoppe. They are removable and even have a radio.

http://hoppeindustries.com/store/qua...ewer-p-29.html

Old 01-22-2010 | 02:39 PM
grbrown
Club Member

I bought my 1990 FLHS new and tried all ways to reduce buffetting with its original windshield before fitting a batwing. I won't suggest it is perfect, but it solved the problem and better tyres helped. Travelling in Europe last June with a bunch of various recent BMWs we watched as they all got blown around by crosswinds more than we did on our 20 year old dresser.

Old 01-22-2010 | 07:59 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

It never ceases to amaze me at the number of so-called experts willing to spout off on subjects they obviously have no experience in. I ride on heavily traveled freeways frequently (Seattle Wa area). I put a Dragonfly batwing fairing on my Road King last fall. I've ridden at high speeds both with and without the batwing, and I'll tell you it's more stable with it.

With the wind pushing against it, it tends to act as a stabilizer and resists sudden movement. I frequently find myself riding at 80-90 mph without realizing I'm going that fast, largely because my bike feels so planted. The fairing actually helps reduce the turbulence brought on by passing trucks.

Old 01-25-2010 | 08:15 AM
pbneb
Cruiser

Which model are you using in your Deluxe? The Memphis Shades web site only lists them for metrics.
Here are some pictures of the MS Batwing on my Deluxe. The Hoppe and Dragonfly batwings are great products from my research and allow for radios and are made of fiberglass. The reason I chose the MShades was because of the price, light weight, between 7 and 10 lbs and scaled well for the soft tail. The plexiglass is about 3/16 thick and very rigid. In my opinion the pictures of the Hoppe and Dragonfly were just a little large and disproportionate for the soft tail. May provide a little more protection. I don't even want a radio or anything like that on my bike. I ride to get away from all of that stuff. The Mshades provides the level of wind break I was looking for and seems to stablize the bike and my mileage on the highway seemed to improve slightly. Best thing is its on and off in 30 to 45 seconds.

Attached Thumbnails Batwing Fairing with Wind-jan10hdf1.jpg   Batwing Fairing with Wind-jan10hdf2.jpg   Batwing Fairing with Wind-jan10hdf4.jpg   Batwing Fairing with Wind-jan10hdf3.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010 | 09:46 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master

much more stable with the fairing. go to www.woodysfairings.com and buy his! you won't be sorry. He has quick attach/detach mounting for the softails

Old 01-25-2010 | 10:35 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pbneb
Here are some pictures of the MS Batwing on my Deluxe. The Hoppe and Dragonfly batwings are great products from my research and allow for radios and are made of fiberglass. The reason I chose the MShades was because of the price, light weight, between 7 and 10 lbs and scaled well for the soft tail. The plexiglass is about 3/16 thick and very rigid. In my opinion the pictures of the Hoppe and Dragonfly were just a little large and disproportionate for the soft tail. May provide a little more protection. I don't even want a radio or anything like that on my bike. I ride to get away from all of that stuff. The Mshades provides the level of wind break I was looking for and seems to stablize the bike and my mileage on the highway seemed to improve slightly. Best thing is its on and off in 30 to 45 seconds.
Thanks for the pics - good looking ride ya got there.
My apologies to the OP for the splinter thread - no theft intended.

Quick Reply: Batwing Fairing with Wind