Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing Fairing with Wind

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010 | 10:10 AM
electra glide
Road Captain

I agree the fixed fairing would be more stable, but my bat wing isn't dangerous by any means. I do notice a bit more wind disturbance the taller the windscreen I run, but that also keeps more wind off of me, so who knows. IMO, any fairing is better than no fairing.

Old 01-22-2010 | 10:30 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pbneb
I have a Memphis Shades removable bat wing for my 08 Deluxe. Love It. 30 seconds on-30 seconds off and mounts solid as a rock. It takes a lot of pressure off when riding in a head wind. Makes a long days ride much more comfortable. I have no problems passing trucks or with side winds. I have the 5" windshield on it but am considering putting either the 7" or 9" windshield on it.

Which model are you using in your Deluxe? The Memphis Shades web site only lists them for metrics.

Old 01-22-2010 | 10:36 AM
mongomark
Road Master

The worst I've felt riding at a variety of speeds in wind speeds with gusts as high as 45 plus mph, is a little shudder in the fork.

Old 01-22-2010 | 10:56 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

I guess I am on the outside of most opinions about the batwing here. I like my batwing and I have no desire to trade bikes, but it is the least stable fairing I have ever ridden at high speeds and when passing trucks on the interstate.

I have never felt unsafe at speeds below 80 mph, but especially above 100 mph with some extra wind, I loose confidence in the bike's stability when I start feeling some shaking in the front end.

I look at it like it performs very well at the speeds I really should be riding at and I have one more reason not to be riding above 80 mph anymore.

Dennis

Old 01-22-2010 | 11:06 AM
pbneb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Which model are you using in your Deluxe? The Memphis Shades web site only lists them for metrics.
I don't remember the model number right off hand but if you go to the Memphis shades web site and click on the "NEW" button in the red oval and then select the "Applications Guide" tab and select Harley it should get you to the information you need, including the quick release brackets and windshield options. The thing I liked about the M Shades is that it is scaled for the softail and the angle is somewhat adjustable. I am very happy with mine.

Old 01-22-2010 | 11:20 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

whoever told you that is full of it mine handles just fine.

Old 01-22-2010 | 11:25 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't remember the model number right off hand but if you go to the Memphis shades web site and click on the "NEW" button in the red oval and then select the "Applications Guide" tab and select Harley it should get you to the information you need, including the quick release brackets and windshield options. The thing I liked about the M Shades is that it is scaled for the softail and the angle is somewhat adjustable. I am very happy with mine.
Thanks for the help but their website is completely uncooperative and no Harley application seems to be available. I'll try the phone number and see if I get anywhere that way.
Thanks again.

Update:
Just got done with a call to Memphis Shades. They confirmed there was no batwing application for any HD model as of yet and had no time estimate for when one might be available. What a way to run a railroad.

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 01-22-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2010 | 11:28 AM
Gliden
Club Member

+1 on total BS.......

Old 01-22-2010 | 11:58 AM
pbneb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Thanks for the help but their website is completely uncooperative and no Harley application seems to be available. I'll try the phone number and see if I get anywhere that way.
Thanks again.

Update:
Just got done with a call to Memphis Shades. They confirmed there was no batwing application for any HD model as of yet and had no time estimate for when one might be available. What a way to run a railroad.
Well either I am in the twilight zone or forgot to ask Allice but I have had mine for almost two years I just copied this off the M shades website.

The first number is the faring part number along with the bracket number.
Will get a picture when I get a chance
2005 - 2010 FLSTN, with lightbar, See Note 22330-00172320-00442320-0047

Old 01-22-2010 | 01:11 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Well either I am in the twilight zone or forgot to ask Allice but I have had mine for almost two years I just copied this off the M shades website.

The first number is the faring part number along with the bracket number.
Will get a picture when I get a chance
2005 - 2010 FLSTN, with lightbar, See Note 22330-00172320-00442320-0047
Thanks pbneb, After a second call using your part numbers the Memphis Shades Customer Service said they, in fact, do make batwings for both Heritage models and the FatBoy. Seems the nice lady in CS was under the assumption I wanted one for a Softail Standard (?) when I inquired about batwings for Harley Softails. My mistake? Oh well.
Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: Batwing Fairing with Wind