Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed E3's using Harbor Frieght tire machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 AM
ltdan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the beads in my 07 Streetglide with new Metzelers. Rode to Florida twice, never noticed or felt any type of imbalance, wobble, etc at any speed. Since I couldn't tell they were there, I assume they were doing their job!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
This link is a good tutorial on tire changing, including photos.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Several years ago I partnered with three friends and bought the HF Tire changer, a balancer from Marc Parnes (a forum member), and a number of sundries required to do the job (RuGlide lubricant, rim protectors, etc.).

We also bought the Harbor Freight motorcycle attachment, Mojo lever, etc. but haven't been using these last two items lately since doing so requires removal of either the pulley or rotor from the wheel. Instead, we've been using tire spoons and doing it the old-fashioned way, and with two people working it isn't that difficult.

Once you tool-up and do a few DIY tire changes you'll be glad you have that flexibility. Then you're out only the cost of tires, which on-line is much cheaper than the dealer will charge you.

Last edited by iclick; 01-22-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Several years ago I partnered with three friends and bought the HF Tire changer, a balancer from Marc Parnes (a forum member), and a number of sundries required to do the job (RuGlide lubricant, rim protectors, etc.).

We also bought the Harbor Freight motorcycle attachment, Mojo lever, etc. but haven't been using these last two items lately since doing so requires removal of either the pulley or rotor from the wheel. Instead, we've been using tire spoons and doing it the old-fashioned way, and with two people working it isn't that difficult.

Once you tool-up and do a few DIY tire changes you'll be glad you have that flexibility. Then you're out only the cost of tires, which on-line is much cheaper than the dealer will charge you.
So I take it you just use the HF changer to hold the tire while you spoon it?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick

We also bought the Harbor Freight motorcycle attachment, Mojo lever, etc.
How well do you like the balancer .. I'm still undecided weather to use Dyna beads or get a balancer .. Dyna beads were my 1st thought but still undecided

Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,149 Likes on 3,670 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy3
My Indy charges $40.00 per wheel. The HD dealer won't do it unless you buy the tires from him and he charges the same price to do it on the bike or if you take them off and take them in yourself.
The charge from my iny is actually $25. per wheel but if you take the old tire with you it's $15... i keep them and take them to the dump once a year....I can't see paying more than that unless it's a emergency. Even $40 is not bad compared to the HD dealer... Hey i buy stuff from my dealer but i am not throwing my money away if i don't have to.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 01-23-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Xmas I treated myself to the Nomar tire changer. It is expensive, but, I only wanted to buy it once... I went with the Classic Ultimate Package. I had them swap out a clamp for thier "yellow thang" holder. I added the Rim Clamp Set and the adapter to balance open wheels (rear on a BMW). This setup will set you back close to a grand but I have everything I need to all motorcycle wheels. I go throught about 4 sets of tires a year on the Beemer and 1-2 on the Custom Bagger. My local indy was charging me $36.00 per wheel when I brought the wheel in. But I figured it was much more than that when you add the time to go the shop, wait around, etc.... I'm selling shares to club members at $50 a pop for first use. Of course I'm putting their bike on my lift and removing the wheels. After the first visit, a 12 pack MGD is required.

Attached Thumbnails Installed E3's using Harbor Frieght tire machine-cus-side.jpg  
Old 01-23-2010, 11:55 AM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
The charge from my iny is actually $25. per wheel but if you take the old tire with you it's $15... i keep them and take them to the dump once a year....I can't see paying more than that unless it's a emergency. Even $40 is not bad compared to the HD dealer... Hey i buy stuff from my dealer but i am not throwing my money away if i don't have to.
If I could get it done for $15 per wheel, I wouldn't contemplate anything else.