Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed E3's using Harbor Frieght tire machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

The HF changer without the overhead arm, Mojo bar and rim protector clamps have worked just fine for myself and a handful of buddies for a couple of years. I've recovered my investment with beer payments from those who appreciated the use.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I see you have the info on the mojo lever. The mojo blocks are a good idea as well, or you can get a cheap cutting board made of the same type of material and make your own. There are several options for rim protectors. I'll probably bolt my tire changer down to the concrete once I get one. There is a great write up somewhere on the net with pics about a guy that bolted his down on a patio and shows every step of the process. Click HERE for that.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
The HF changer without the overhead arm, Mojo bar and rim protector clamps have worked just fine for myself and a handful of buddies for a couple of years. I've recovered my investment with beer payments from those who appreciated the use.
I took that overhead arm off also .. What is that arm for anyway I couldn't see any use for it

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used some scrap leather as rim protectors but I did mine with 3 spoons and the leather was perfect for that. The thing that made the job really simple was the ruglyde. The tire damn near fell on by itself. The only thing that sucks is you can only get it by the gallon and you might use 1/8 oz. The dyna beads seem to work. Got to go easy on the tire lube to keep the inside of the tire dry so the beads work better at lower speeds. I found the E3 sidewall much thicker than stock but not bad at all getting it on. Off might be a different ****. I did have to use a ratchet strap around the tire to seat it.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

HF also sells a tire balancer for cheap like $59. I use the version balancer sold by marc parnes and it works great. Tried the beads and have had too many valve stems wear out while using them,they acted like glass beading the inside of the rim. I would switch to metal stems if using the beads. Mike

Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rmc115
Tried the beads and have had too many valve stems wear out while using them,they acted like glass beading the inside of the rim. I would switch to metal stems if using the beads. Mike
Are you saying that the stems wear out before the tires do or just that you would need to replace the stems at each tire change? I guess I don't see how they hit the rim since they would roll around in the bottom of the tire at low speed and be forced against the tire as you go faster. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just can't see it in my head.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

Originally Posted by rmc115
HF also sells a tire balancer for cheap like $59. I use the version balancer sold by marc parnes and it works great. Tried the beads and have had too many valve stems wear out while using them,they acted like glass beading the inside of the rim. I would switch to metal stems if using the beads. Mike
I don't like the sound of that .. did the valve stems start to leak or did they blow out completely all at once?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only problem I noticed was that a bead might get stuck in the valve stem and when I checked the tire pressure with my gauge the needle got stuck. I am now in the habit of shooting a blast of air in before I check my pressure. I find this to be a minor issue and will continue to use them. I don't like the weights stuck to the rim. I don't see how they could damage the stem.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:25 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

very small leaks developed where the rubber stem mounted to the wheel. and on disassembly some of the beads were now powder. One time a fluke, twice is more than coincidence. I like the balance better with weights after trying both. Mike

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

Originally Posted by captjon37
The only problem I noticed was that a bead might get stuck in the valve stem and when I checked the tire pressure with my gauge the needle got stuck. I am now in the habit of shooting a blast of air in before I check my pressure. I find this to be a minor issue and will continue to use them. I don't like the weights stuck to the rim. I don't see how they could damage the stem.
How many miles have you had them in your tires?

Quick Reply: Installed E3's using Harbor Frieght tire machine