Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Heritage Softail

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 09:39 PM
GfromAlberta
|
Intermediate
Default Road King vs Heritage Softail

Pretty straight forward guys, just got approved the other day on a line of credit to buy a bike and just wondering the pros and cons of going one way or the other?

Thanks in advance for responses!

EDIT: Thanks alot for all the input guys! For all of you bringing up size I'm 6'3 and around 270, would being bigger be more beneficial on a King?

Last edited by GfromAlberta; 01-21-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2010 | 09:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Touring bike all the way!

Old 01-20-2010 | 09:43 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Smile heritage or King

One up the Heritage is fine.
If you do any two up riding go with the King. Personally i would go with the King all day.

Old 01-20-2010 | 09:44 PM
hover
Road Captain

Roadking for sure, you wont look back!

Old 01-20-2010 | 09:47 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Back in '03, I went thru the same decision process. Read all I could on each model. In the end, I decided that I wanted the comfort of a tourer and bought a Road King Classic. Kept it until '07 and traded for an Ultra. I liked the RKC. I love my Ultra.

I like the looks of both the King and the Heritage. On the King, I did have to change bars (not terribly expensive if you don't go apes) and the seat. Both were unbearable. One thing I would have done differently is that I would have bought the standard King without the leather saddle bags. You can't lock the leather and if you want a paint scheme you can't paint the leather.

A lot of folks do long distance touring with the Heritage, but I think you'd be more comfortable on the King and you can add a tour pack if you need the storage.

Just some things to think about.

Old 01-20-2010 | 10:33 PM
one-up
Road Warrior

Recently bought a 2010 Road King (not the Classic) after having an '06 Road King (not the Classic). The improvements they have made since '06 are really remarkable and the bike is still $16,900 base price. So I'm a Road King fan all the way.

However, I say all the above with 2 exceptions:

1 -The seat on 2010 is not comfortable to me, so I put a Mustang Vintage Solo seat on it. Wow, what a great seat.

2 - Road King handle bars are kinda low and wide causing me to lean forward, which is not comfortable to me. I put Heritage style handle bars on it. Makes all the difference in the world.

These were issues to me, but they may not be to you.

Good luck hunting.

Old 01-21-2010 | 01:39 AM
tslonige
Road Captain

How tall are you? If you are under 5'9" the touring bikes are going to feel a little high off the ground qat a stop. I had a Street Glide and could never get quite comfortable on it. Always felt like I was sitting on it rather than in. Sold it and bought a Heritage sits lower and I feel like I sit down in it. I added extras to make it more like a touring bike and my wife and I ride it all over. Put the Harley Signature seat with rider backrest on it, Krome Werks Sweeper bars and it rides awesome.

Old 01-21-2010 | 01:41 AM
tslonige
Road Captain

By the way, the best way is to go ride them both to each their own.

Old 01-21-2010 | 02:03 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

You need to ride both.

The King will outhandle a softy. Lean angles on the king are much higher. Heritages scrape very early.

Kings have triple disc brakes, brembos if you are buying an 08 up.

No contest really.

Old 01-21-2010 | 03:54 AM
joshuavlanderson
Advanced

there is not a doubt in my mind that the Road King is truly the King of the road I love mine and would never tradde her for anything, except another one.

Quick Reply: Road King vs Heritage Softail