Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Heritage Softail

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010 | 02:26 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fl Jimbo 05
Seat height is a big diff. If your tall enough, 5'9" +, RK is probably the way to go. Also, depends on type of driving. around town - heritage
long trips - RK

my
I agree with this. If you aren't going to do any real touring there's not much sense in buying a touring bike. I have an older EG Standard and a Night Train. Everyone is right about riding 2 up although it's very doable to ride 2 up on a Heritage.

Of the two bikes the NT far more fun and nimble to ride but I wouldn't want to ride it cross country although it can certainly be done.

Whatever your decision don't forget to put a couple grand aside to fix it up. Lots of aftermarket parts are much better than HD parts these days. Seats, AC, Tuner, Pipes, etc.

Old 01-21-2010 | 02:27 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by patriotmc
One thing I would have done differently is that I would have bought the standard King without the leather saddle bags. You can't lock the leather and if you want a paint scheme you can't paint the leather.
Well, I don't know for sure about the Classic, but my RK Custom leather bags can be locked. Also, I kind of like knowing that If I paint my bike, I can save alot by not having to paint the bags. And a Third + for leather bags, scuff marks give them character and when I got hit from behind, I was able to pop the plastic/leather bag back into shape!

The only downside I see to the King is if you want to run around with no bags. The heritage they come off easy and the bike looks good, the King their are a bunch of brackets and stuff in place.

Old 01-21-2010 | 02:33 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer

Eventually you will buy a bagger if you keep riding harleys. Save yourself the time and money of going through any more bikes and get the king.

Old 01-21-2010 | 02:39 PM
Rick Lee
Advanced

I asked the same ?. Best answer I got was if you spend more time in the city and occasional 2 up the it's the Heritage. If you spend more time touring 2 up you need the RK. I bought the RKC. 1 year after riding, as much as I hate the plastic fairingsm I should have bought a Ultra, because all we do is tour long distances 2 up

Old 01-21-2010 | 02:50 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain

I rented both before making my decision. Three things I want to point out. The Brembo brakes on the RK are way better than the ST brakes. The RK is more comfortable if you do long rides. I'm only 5'7" and I can reach the ground flat footed on my RK with the Sundowner seat. Couldn't reach when it was new but when the seat got broken in no problem reaching the ground.

Old 01-21-2010 | 03:42 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

If you post this question in the Softail forum, they will probably tell you get the Heritage. Two totally different bikes, but most civilians would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Get an RKC. Has the "look", but all the comfort and practicality of the touring bikes.

If you really want to save some money, just bite the bullet and get an ultra. You'll wind up with one eventually.

Old 01-21-2010 | 04:00 PM
coldboy
Intermediate

I have an 08 heritage and a buddy of mine has a king. we swap all the time and my opinion is that they are really very differnt bikes. Both have their plus's and drawbacks. The comments on the Kings handle bars sound very familiar as my bud changed his out and has thought about putting my heritage bars on his bike( i have 16's). I like the king but i much prefer the heritage (i'm 6' 4'') for the seating position and handling. Bike handles just fine with 2 up. I put plenty of miles on and can say that even with the stock seat its very comfortable. Knowing what i know now i would still buy the heritage. one mans opinion.

Old 01-21-2010 | 04:03 PM
roki2008
Advanced

I have an '08 Road King Classic and absolutely love it. I am 5'7'' and have no problems being flat footed at a stop sign. One of the deciding factors for me was the difference in the engines. The softail engines idle real smooth but seem to send more vibes through the bike while riding. The touring engines shake pretty good at idle but smooth right out at speed. This and the triple disc brakes and added room make for a nice touring bike. The Road King is a real sharp looking cruiser with the windshield removed. The classic comes with cruise control but doesn't have the locking hard bags but neither does the heritage. Good luck. Either way you have an oppurtunity to get a Harley. Enjoy.

Old 01-21-2010 | 04:17 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master

you'll enjoy either one. to me the king is the most versatile bike HD makes....... windshield, no windshied, quick detach fairing, add king tour pack, etc. plus, abs and cruise.... I love my wife's Heritage, don't get me wrong...it looks all HARLEY.....and with the exhaust I'll tell you it sounds much better and she'll tell you that (and she tells everyone), but if I had 1 bike to choose and not have both, I'd pick the king.

Old 01-21-2010 | 04:40 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Both are great bikes. I rented both for about a week before buying my RK. I would have been happy with either bike, but the smoother ride and stock hardbags on the RK clinched it for me. I did have to put the Heritage style bars and a lower seat on the RK though to make it just right for me.

I also prefer the overall looks of the RK. Love the way the dual exhaust looks from behind.

Quick Reply: Road King vs Heritage Softail