Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Kit for EFI

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 12:11 AM
EasternSP
|
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default Stage 1 Kit for EFI

I did a search and didn't find anything here on this topic.

I have an 06 RG and would like to know what the benefit of adding a SE Stage 1 Kit to it.

From what I am reading about it, the kit improves the breathing capacity of the engine and should be installed by an authorized H-D mechanic.

Is the kit worth it?

Old 07-21-2006 | 12:29 AM
Big Dog
Road Master
Default RE: Stage 1 Kit for EFI

hey
I run a 2004 Ultra with the stage one and Arlen Ness Air breather and screaming eagles slip ons. when the stealer ship put on the stage one they put on the KN breather set up. I went with the AN and gain ponys and no oil leaking on my engine. I think if you are going to put this on your bike anyone can do it as long as U keep the paperwork so it will not void your warenty if you have problems and have to take to the stealer ship..... Good luck

keep the chrome side up and be safe out there.........

Old 07-21-2006 | 12:39 AM
Lpye
Road Captain

I am doing the Stage 1 this week on my o6 Ultra. I will keep you posted.

Old 07-21-2006 | 08:18 AM
EasternSP
|
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Thanks Big Dog,

I have read that something has to be reset, I think it might be the EFI and that involves some kind of mapping. I'm still not familiar with how they do that. Does it require some kinda diagnostic device or just play it by ear?

Old 07-21-2006 | 08:30 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member

I did it on my Street Glide. It was worth it. I did negotiate with the dealer on the labor. I told him that I would buy the parts from him and have them install them if he would do the map for free. If not, I would order the parts online, install them and have the bike trailered to him and pay for the map. He never even blinked and did it without a problem. I think he charges around 125 for the map. This way, he got the profit off the parts and the one hour labor to install them. It worked out well. It was a very noticeable difference.

Old 07-21-2006 | 08:33 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: EasternSP

Thanks Big Dog,

I have read that something has to be reset, I think it might be the EFI and that involves some kind of mapping. I'm still not familiar with how they do that. Does it require some kinda diagnostic device or just play it by ear?
Normally, a Stage 1 upgrade you need to have the stage 1 download for your ECM too. Normal charge for the DL is $150.00

Bob

Old 07-21-2006 | 08:50 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

Pipes/air kit with a dyno tuned PCIII will get you a real dramatic increase in performance over the lean/restricted, stock, EPA trampled, configuration. Your bike will be way more enjoyable to ride while retaining excellent fuel economy. Just install everything yourself, order the PCIII with a pre-loaded map, and then find a qualifed dyno guy to dial it in. Best money you could spend, no question!

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:36 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master

My '03 Ultra has a Stage 1 intake on it. It use to have Stage 1 exhaust but I replaced the SE mufflers with stock muffler. I don't have anything to compart it to because this is my first Harley but my Utlra Classic gets around 50-51 MPG.

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:57 AM
lightu
Advanced

One concern about the air filter(K&N) that comes with the Stage 1. K&N's are designed for racing, short trips, and a cleaning very often. They breathe great, but aren't the best for highway riding when it comes to filtration. Look at Amsoil's new air filters. Or another brand that offers good flow with good filtering.

Old 07-21-2006 | 12:54 PM
Big Dog
Road Master

Sorry Man; I forgot about the mapping. I also put a PCIII on mine and let the computer do the mapping with the epuipment I had on the bike. There are several thousand different combo's to work with accorrding to what pipes,air breather and what different Stage U put on your Scooter. Any question feel free to email me about this. and address it something to do with Motorcycles so I don't delete as spam....................Big Dog

Keep the Chrome side up and Be Safe ou there!!!!!

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Kit for EFI