Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS BAGGER WITH A SINGLE DISC,Is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
kalkhoff
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS BAGGER WITH A SINGLE DISC,Is it possible???

I've seen this question asked and overlooked on many many threads. Surely someone knows. Ok here goes. Does any one know the process involved to convert a dual disc brake set up to a single disc if the bike has ABS? Not how safe it is, not how it looks, but the process or pics if anyone has done it. There are many of us that want to make our ABS a functional single disc set up regardless of safety (have seen thousands, and its not illigal). I'm sure there would have to be some one on here that has tried this or actually achieved it. Thanks...

Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

No, not with abs...

Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can
The ABS is only a system that provides pulses to the wheels.
The calipers on these ABS bikes are no different than a NON-ABS bike.
You can change the caliper to anything you like...I'd highly recommend a 6 piston.
You'll need to change the brake line running from the ABS box to the caliper.
You SHOULD change the master cylinder to a softtail master cylinder.
You need to change the brake line from the master cylinder to the ABS box to a smaller diameter, like on the softtails.
After all this was done, you'd need to have the system calibrated at your local HD dealer.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:21 PM
STX Designs
Intermediate

^^^okay to bring this back up, I have an 08 Road king that needs to be converted to single disk. Now you say the best thing to use a softtail brake line? I was thinking of just make a new line from the ABS to the caliper.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by STX Designs
^^^okay to bring this back up, I have an 08 Road king that needs to be converted to single disk. Now you say the best thing to use a softtail brake line? I was thinking of just make a new line from the ABS to the caliper.
You have to read ALL the words, he said to use a Softail MASTER CYLINDER because it is sized to use with a single caliper.

Other than that you just need to run a single brake line from the ABS module to the single front caliper.

Softails dont have a smaller diameter brake line, its all -3!

Last edited by hog-doc; 06-10-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 PM
STX Designs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hog-doc
[B]You have to read ALL the words, he said to use a Softail MASTER CYLINDER because it is sized to use with a single caliper.
Softails dont have a smaller diameter brake line, its all -3!
Originally Posted by BadPiggy
You SHOULD change the master cylinder to a softtail master cylinder.
You need to change the brake line from the master cylinder to the ABS box to a smaller diameter, like on the softtails.
Well he saying the softtails have a smaller line .. Thats what I am asking and on the master cylinder he said u SHOULD use the softtail one but that doesn't mean I really have to but I SHOULD...

Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how the line size is that important. The critical items here should be the piston size in the MC vs. the piston area in the calipers.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by STX Designs
Well he saying the softtails have a smaller line .. Thats what I am asking and on the master cylinder he said u SHOULD use the softtail one but that doesn't mean I really have to but I SHOULD...
He is either misinformed or misunderstanding something, the lines on all late bikes are -3 braid under the black cover. He said you SHOULD use the softail master because like I said it is the CORRECT bore size for a single disc.

If you dont understand a capitalized SHOULD, that means since your life depends on the operation of your brakes you SHOULD use the CORRECT parts!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 04:10 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking into this too. The 411 I was told by people selling the kit say they only recommend the Master cylinder change on 2007 and earlier. 2008 HD switched MC's and they work fine with the single disk set up.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It will probably pull to one side....... ; )~

Quick Reply: ABS BAGGER WITH A SINGLE DISC,Is it possible???