Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
JackieGrier007
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Choice

Was at the local dealer this week getting ready to drop a few $$'s...Bottom line..The H-D tech wanted to do the SE 253 cams. My bike is a 09 FLHTP w/103 engine. I am leaning towards the Wood 6-6..... Most of my riding is solo..Any thoughts ? I see a lot of entries on the 255 cams..Also the Dealership is pushing the SE Tuner. I asked about a PC-V and the Tech started bad mouthing the product. He also alluded that anything other than the SERT would void my warranty. I need help here DOC.....

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
monsterglide2008
Novice

I recommend leaving that dealer and going to another or finding a good independent. Ask around and go to some bike nights for information. Happy owners will blab forever. The independents get paid for return business on service not selling bikes most of the time.

The dealer wants your money to stay with a SERT. Every modification you will make will cost $120+ to get a new SERT flash. How much does fuel moto charge you for a new SERT? $0 and it takes maybe three days max to email it to you. PCV will not void your warranty. At least with Ohio Harley dealerships. Heck they recommend them over the SERT around here.

The 253 is an okay cam but there are much better ones out there. Just make sure you plan ahead a little. If you are camming it up this year and then maybe want more compression next year, headwork or.... check around. Many cams will work with your present build but really good with additional down the road. TW6 is much better than 253 in my opinion.

By your tech telling you those things red flags, sirens and warning signs are visible. Perhaps the tech doesn't know powercommanders or can't dyno them properly. He will only sell what he knows. They got your big $$ for a bike that needs $$ more to perform like it should to begin with. Why give the creators of the mess more money for mediocre performance gains? For the same or less (indy less per hour I bet) you can get more performance for your money.

I almost made the same mistakes. I did 255 myself with my existing PCIII and fuel moto exhaust and high flow filter. Dyno results sucked but the bike was much better for the year of this set up. I would say what it was what should have been from the factory to start with.

Then I went and bored it out to 103, tman stage II heads, Tman 590 cam, 10.5-1 compression and the bike dyno'd out at 99 hp and 104tq. The thing is a freakin missle from 2,000 up. Still working out some sliggishness below 2,000 that the '08 electronic bikes seem to incurr. The independent doesn't charge me any dyno time while working on the low rpm sluggishness. When I say sluggish I mean = to stock when going 2 up. Worth $2,800 out the door with compression releases installed?? Yes for my smile but it sucks to spend that on a two year old bike that cost over $20K to get it to run right. Harley get you those numbers for that???

So I don't endorse any one product or service other than not relying on HD for the only answer. good luck.

2008 Electra GLide Classic

Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
timvan
Road Warrior

Love my 6-6, pulls great all the way up........

it is a bit loud until you get used to it though

Old 01-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Monterglide gives some good advice. The 253 is not what I would even come close to recommending. Depending on where you want your power band to be and all other things considered, The HQ 525 or even 575 if you want a bit more Hp and torque a little higher in the rpm range would be good choices as well as the T-man 525 or 590, again depending on the bikes compression and where and how you do most of your riding. Do a little more research.

As far as tuning device, ir you are not going to continue to do modifications, the SEST is a good choice as is the TTS. PCV for a not overly modified bike again is workable depending on what you really want in the way of return on your investment and how involved you will actually be with future tuning or modifications but I do prefer the SEST or TTS. Keep reading, and asking questions, but do not blindly trust your dealer.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton
Monterglide gives some good advice. The 253 is not what I would even come close to recommending. Depending on where you want your power band to be and all other things considered, The HQ 525 or even 575 if you want a bit more Hp and torque a little higher in the rpm range would be good choices as well as the T-man 525 or 590, again depending on the bikes compression and where and how you do most of your riding. Do a little more research.

As far as tuning device, ir you are not going to continue to do modifications, the SEST is a good choice as is the TTS. PCV for a not overly modified bike again is workable depending on what you really want in the way of return on your investment and how involved you will actually be with future tuning or modifications but I do prefer the SEST or TTS. Keep reading, and asking questions, but do not blindly trust your dealer.
Very well said!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check out the SE 259e cams.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Sath
Tourer

Originally Posted by JackieGrier007
Was at the local dealer this week getting ready to drop a few $$'s...Bottom line..The H-D tech wanted to do the SE 253 cams. My bike is a 09 FLHTP w/103 engine. I am leaning towards the Wood 6-6..... Most of my riding is solo..Any thoughts ? I see a lot of entries on the 255 cams..Also the Dealership is pushing the SE Tuner. I asked about a PC-V and the Tech started bad mouthing the product. He also alluded that anything other than the SERT would void my warranty. I need help here DOC.....

Same question here about the wood cam and same response from a local dealer with a few extras.

Service manager said they had never done a install with a Wood cam ( he had heard of them ) and if I did the Wood Cam 6-6 install it would void my warranty because it was not a HD part. When I told them that their other dealership in a different town was a authorized Wood dealer he then said warranty would not cover if it was thought to be cam related.

As far as the PCV he said they would refuse to trouble shoot any ECM issues if I had that tuner. I took that as it would void my warranty.

I have one more question to add. How is the 6-6 when riding 2 up? I will doing the install on a 96cu with a SEST.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
B-1B_Guy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of great cam choices out there. I really liked the S&S 551ES, the CR575, Woods TW6-6 & the TW-7H. I chose the TW-7H for my build because I'm doing the heads; however, I would have gone with the 6-6 if I kept the heads stock. FuelMoto likes the 6-6's as well. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd call FuelMoto and ask them some questions. They will give you an objective no BS explanation of what works and what doesn't. Good people and a good business to work with.

I wouldn't go back to the dealer that inferred warranty issues. A good dealer wouldn't back you against the wall with comments like that or such limited options.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I'd go with the 255s and a sert. Any aftermarket cams, tuners or independent shop is going to kill your warranty if any problems show up in the areas mentioned. I'm not saying it's fair but it is what it is. There should be no problems with any of the cams and tuners mentioned by others but if there is you are most likely on your own.

Quick Reply: Cam Choice