Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Transporting 2 Ultras to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Of the seven times that I have went the 900 mile trip from Illinois to Sturgis using I-80 to I-35 to I-90, it was an adventure only the first time. So so the second and very boring from then on.

I have towed once. My plan from now on is to trailer as I have a 8.5X20 trailer set up with living space and climate control. At 69 I have earned it. Far more relaxing to cruise there in a/c comfort.

For the experience of motorcycling I do at least one adventure ride a year. In 09 it was a ride to the Arctic Circle. This year it will be a trip to Key West and the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway and the the Cherohola Parkway(sp). Nest year it will be the Pacific Coast Highway from the Mexican border to Canada.

So don't tell me about riding experience as I do more than 80 to 90 % of riders out there. Because of the adventure riding, I have two types of motorcycles to take depending on the destination. A Ultra Classic and a Buell Ulysses XT which is a great adventure touring machine.

Towing has advantages and it is my business only.

So to the OP I suggest that renting a Uhaul box truck should do the trick real well. Have two HF wheel chocks and use at least two sets of tie down straps per bike.

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-20-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nocages4me
I would say don't go if you can't ride it. The ride out is great and it should only take you 2 good long days to get there. The main reason that people have issues with the rally is that it is so congested with all of the ultras on trailers.
So do it your way or no way?? I like "harley-jones thoughts on the matter. I would do it however worked best for me. Comes down to that stubborn individuality thing that gets me in trouble now and then. Course I could always be a sheep and do it like everybody else.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mnskip
bigskyhd could not have said it better. If you have time to haul it, you have time to ride it.
+1 A frigin men

Sorry to the OP but trailering bikes to Sturgis - come on. . . you're letting the side down dude.

And another thing - why is it mostly Ultra owners who trailer?

Having said that - I think anyone over 60 gets a free pass on this one ;-) It's the younger riders that get me scratching my head. Have to say tho' I'm kinda spoiled living in Wa State - there's great variety of routes and spectacular scenery.

Last edited by davessworks; 01-21-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

guys i do alot of riding 42,000 miles on my 07 and it won't be 3years old till june of this year ill be over 50,000 before then. And my bike has only been on a trailer once to get a flat fixed. That being said alot of guys bashing the guys trailering bikes i don't completely disagree but not everyone has 2weeks or 3weeks vacation.

From Jersey your looking at 1700 miles roughly speaking 25hrs according to map quest two guys in a uhaul can each drive 12hrs and make it there in 25hrs and have a full week to ride the rockies and places they will maybe never have the chance to go back to due to family and or money that is when iam in favor of trailering if thats the only way. My dad has went to sturgis many many times and i haven't made it yet if i was smart i would have taken a weeks vacation and sent my bike out with him and his motor home and flew out and flew back and only used a weeks vacation. Who knows someday i may have the vacation or time to ride out i hope so.

But heck it would be alot of fun if i left on a friday in a truck got there with a friend on sat and didn't have to leave until sunday. But if i rode 1700 miles each way tell me how many of you honestly can ride that straight thru not many so even if you did 600 miles a day your looking at 3 days out 3days back and a day at the rally and riding out there blast out blast back id say its hard to argue that the trailer is the way to go on that one. Unless you want to make it a road trip on the bikes just cruising the usa and stopping in at strugis a day or two.

Wether your on a trailer or a bike if you blast out fast to get there you are not making any more memories other than a sore back any trip like that should be set up one of two ways with plenty of time to ride the bike out and enjoy the road trip or blast out overnight on a trailer and enjoy the time there

Old 01-21-2010, 06:03 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

If you don't have the time...Just fly in and rent a Harley then you'll have lots of time riding there.

Doing the same thing myself this coming April...Flying to Las Vegas, rent a Road King and attend Laughlin River Run Bike Week.

Thorey

Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 AM
HDJOE60
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Jersey and road my bike to sturgis twice. Once with just my wife and the second with another couple. We did 650 miles in 12 hours, no night time riding. Arrived in 2.5 days. Rode around for 1 week and then came back the same way. Total of 6,000 miles. We had a blast. Best riding vacation I ever did.Like other's have said , it's all about the ride.
Most importantly, have fun.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"But, if you've got time to tow them from Jersey to Sturgis and back, you've actually got plenty of time to ride them. You've got Ultra's for heavens sake....that's what they're made for.."

I was in the same position you were several years ago. My riding buddy did not want to ride there and back but rather trailer his bike. We both ended up riding from Ft. Lauderdale...this was one of the best trips I have ever done and created some unbelievable memories and stories for us to tell our grandkids one day.
Well maybe not all of them but you get what I say
If you have time ride it!!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think OhioScully laid it out pretty well. If you have the time, riding out is a great experience. If you don't, I think renting a truck or doing a fly in is a good option. Everyone should get to experience Sturgis at least once.

I live in eastern MN. I can jump on the interstate and get to Sturgis in about 9 1/2 hours. It is hard riding with stops to pee and gas only. I do this when I'm by myself. When my wife goes with me, we take less traveled roads and do it in a day and 1/2.

Hard riding is a whole lot less fun. Last year, my wife and I went to Rolling Thunder in DC. 2/3 of the ride was on interstate, we did about 550 miles a day. But we also mixed it up with some great riding thru West Virginia. The ride out was fun. The ride back was not nearly as much fun as it was raining, cold and we were on interstates and riding long hard days the whole way.

When I ride the interstate to Sturgis, it IS congested with lot's of trailers and trucks transporting bikes. Sometimes it bothers me, but most of the time, I realize that each person has their own reason for transporting their bikes like that. (btw, it always provides me with a little air of superiority that I'm riding and their trucking :-)

The one that that does but a burr under my sadle is when they pull over and ride the last 50 miles into Rapid City like they rode the whole way there!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Google, Toy Hauler Rentals
Been There,Done that,Loved it,Will do it again!!!! Good Luck!!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

The ride is much better then the event imo.Lots of great rides and lots to see in the area.I plan on ridin back again this year but I will skip the trailer fest,been there done that.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Transporting 2 Ultras to Sturgis