Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Transporting 2 Ultras to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Wilkey65
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ride them to Stugis, the ride might be better than the destination.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

step by step instructions:

1. install helmet.
2. install sunglasses.
3. install asses in seats.
4. start bike and ride to destination.

easy as pie....

Chris

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I appreciate the ideas. To those who believe if I have the time to drive, I have the time to ride, a couple of thoughts: first, if we drive we can alternate driving and get there in 2 days. If we ride, it will take at least 1.5 days longer each way. I would love to have the time to ride to Sturgis. I ride 10k miles/year. I have taken many long rides: Charleston, SC; Asheville, NC; Cape Breton, NS; Gaspe, Quebec; Ontario Lake Region. So those who encourage the ride out to Sturgis, you are right to do so, but sometimes time just doesn't allow it. Also, I will not ride at night, especially on unfamiliar roads. If safety expert Larry Grodsky can hit a deer at night, believe me, so can I. That said, the U-Haul truck is worth investigating. Oh, I'm also going to try to re-arrange my schedule to ride out there -- could be a once in a lifetime opportunity and the words of encouragement give me further incentive. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys were pretty easy on him. I trailer when I go west across OK, TX, NE or KS. Then stash the trailer and ride. Mainly because of the wife. If I was by myself I would just ride it.
Can't say I hate trailering though because we always head out west in late July. Those long, straight, boring rides across the above mentioned states, in late July, feel pretty good sitting in air conditioned comfort!!

P.S. As a rule, I don't ride at night either if I can avoid it.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
nocages4me
Tourer

I would say don't go if you can't ride it. The ride out is great and it should only take you 2 good long days to get there. The main reason that people have issues with the rally is that it is so congested with all of the ultras on trailers.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nocages4me
I would say don't go if you can't ride it. The ride out is great and it should only take you 2 good long days to get there. The main reason that people have issues with the rally is that it is so congested with all of the ultras on trailers.
Not to mention all those people parking trailers 50 miles outside of Sturgis and riding that looonnng 50 miles into town.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I'm not going to sit here and take up for people who trailer to Sturgis. Some people are just lazy or have to have the comforts of home. No biggie to me.
But I will say, if I had 1800 miles to go one way, and only 9 days of vacation..I'd trailer in a minute.

The trouble I've been having for the last three years is getting anyone to go!
About every year there are 10 couples that plan to go [with us] and then a week before departure everyone has bailed because whatever. Time is the reoccuring issue. Not enough time.
Funny thing is, not one of these couples EVER says "hey lets trailer to save some time"...
Everyone is always "Man I ain't gonna Trailer, thats for posers, it's all about the riddddeeee yadda-yadda-yadda".
I'm like, whatever. I'd just like to go. With some company if possible.

This year..if no one else is going, I'm going no matter what. And if I find myself short on time, I'll put the bike on a truck and friggin drive out.
At least then I'll finally be able to go. Even if I did have to trailer the damn thing out...

Anyone in or around Charleston, SC want to go this year?

Crickets...

lp

Last edited by lp; 01-20-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
BC Glide
Cruiser

+1 on Big Sky comments. Been to Sturgis 4 times the trip to and from has been as much fun if not more than the time in Sturgis.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to trailer like I do when I go anywhere because my wife has to take her 3 yappy yorkies! won't leave them with a kennel and I think they'd suffocate if I stuck them in the saddlebags lol....and then I'd never get any...plus, wife likes the portapotty in the trailer as we travel lol! then I blow up a mattress and we use the trailer as our room (I did have ac/heat and I built cabinets in it), so call me a wimp, but gotta keep the wife happy if I want to play!

Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ride it or Trailer it...It's yours and it's all good!

Last edited by harley-jones; 01-20-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Transporting 2 Ultras to Sturgis