Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yaffe Monkey bars ordered..wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM
WhiteGoldSG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yaffe Monkey bars ordered..wiring?

Hey guys, i ordered my 10" PYO Monkey bars today. i already know that I have to go +6 on my clutch and brake line. Who makes the best/easiest to use kit to extend the wires. My bike is a 2008 Streetglide with Cruise control.I figure a +10 kit would get me there safely, but any other input would be great. I am lookin at the Novello kits, they look pretty easy, has anyone used them, and the part numbers used? And, yes, I did use the search function, and could not find anything about who used what to extend the wires.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I will be in the same boat soon and have done enough reading to make anyone's head spin. For wires, I think I am going to just buy 16 gauge wire at the auto parts store along with some heat shrink (AutoZone has both) I then plan to stagger my cuts in the wire harness. Hopefully, if cut close enough to the end, the stock wires will pull through before soldering new wires on. If not, solder on EQUAL lengths and label each one (1-26 is easier than colors) Once they are pulled through, they should match up in length (since the cuts are staggered and all new pieces are equal) and you can use the numbering for a backup.

This is what I am leaning towards, should be a little cheaper than the kits. If you are dead set on the kits, look at the NAMZ kits as the are cheaper and include everything in one kit. The Novello ones are specific for radio, cruise etc........ I am just not sold on connectors and heat shrink being ok to use. I also think it sounds like a PAIN to take every wire out of the harness plug. I would think soldering would be the best route.

Last edited by Nozzleman 216; 01-19-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

It's probably expensive, but PYO has kits for their bars that contain all you need to do the job, I thought?
Jerry

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

Jerry, you are correct, they do offer a supersize kit. Whether or not the wires are the plug and play or not I do not know. I was quoted a price for one and it wasn't too bad.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
swoopjr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a set of 10" also. they told me I didn't need a kit. Now you got me wondering.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I just got this reply from Paul. We are now a dealer of his products as well. It will be a few days until we get the catalog. "We sell supersize kits for taller bars that are pre packaged for specific models in black finish or stainless braided....They include everything you will need to install the bars: Clutch cable, brake line, throttle cables (if needed) extended wiring, shrink, pull wire, transmission fluid, transmission gasket and most importantly...instructions. They vary in price from $174 thru $449 depending on year, model,equipment and finish choice." Paul Yaffe

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 01-19-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 PM
coolhands03bagger
Cruiser

When I put 13" apes on my bagger...I didn't have to extend the wires at all. I just re routed them. It's been fine for 3 yrs.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 PM
ssfirefighter
Tourer

I used the Novello +12'' wiring extensions. I could have rerouted them, but it was much easier, and nicer to mount the plugs back in the stock locations. The nice thing about the Novello's was that he has all the factory pins on them, so they plug into each other, then back into the plug with a piece of heat shrink covering them. One tip though. Someone on here had posted up that the pins would not hold when he tried to pull them through. Pull the stock wires through, then attach the extensions. Another tip with the Novello's. Dump both kits out together and piece them by color. I found in mine, that the left side kit didn't have all the right colors, the right didn't have matching color codes, but between the two, they were all there. If you need, I have a write up on the install I can email you. Just PM me your address.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
scooplove
Tourer

I went ahead and purchased the supersize kit directly from PYO, instead of monkeying (pun intended) around with trying to get the right sizes.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
bman7163
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have also been looking into the 10" bars from Yaffe.

Below are the exchanged emails from them on the 10" and 12" bars. From these emails they are saying that nothing extra is needed for the 10" bars.

My sent emails are in blue and returned emails from Yaffe are in black.

I am going to call directly once I get closer to ordering and check back on this post.

Hello!

I am looking into purchasing a set of either 10" or 12" monkey bagger bars for my 2009 Street Glide. Looking for total cost with the bare minimal kit to install and cost with braided cables.

I am also wondering if the bars are available with no finish. I have a local power coating place and will be doing a custom color. If available this way what would the cost be?

Thanks for any and all information.

10”s or 12’s in raw are no problem. $335 + 3-4 weeks to make them. You don’t need a Supersize kit for 10’s. If you choose 12’s you will and a braided kit will run $414.24 if you have ABS and $333.29 if you don’t have ABS.

Thanks for choosing my designs…

Paul Yaffe

Thanks for the information that was provided.

What will I need for the 10" bars as far as cables and wire extensions? I am not running cruise or ABS on my bike.

Thanks again!

You won’t need any ssk then.

Quick Reply: Yaffe Monkey bars ordered..wiring?