Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010 | 08:28 AM
masterblaster
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Pinging issue

Okay had a pinging issue with my HQ107at 3000 - 3100 rpm under load (WOT), was suggested that I get the tuner to remove a few degrees in that range. They removed the timing no w bike does not ping but runs with way less power. The question, If I put old map back in SEST will it adjust the timing back the way it was. I would rather have a little pinging and power vs a dog powered bike. Will get a tune as soon as I ahve time to ride to Texas.

Old 01-19-2010 | 08:38 AM
CroK
Banned

Not sure about the SEST, MB and if you have the ability to adjust the map or not. But with my power commander, I went in and adjusted the timing a couple points. I had similar issue, before and after installing the PC3 USB. The map was adjusted for me by Jamie @ Fuel Moto, to remove a bit of ping at the same range as you. The adjusted map set the timing as -3. I went in (twice) and changed it to -2 and then -1 and got some power back without the ping.

Last edited by CroK; 01-19-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-19-2010 | 08:56 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Jerry, you REALLY don't want PING. It can be detrimental to your build, ESPECIALLY if you can hear it, since it's surpassed knock retard where you normally may not hear it.

You have the SEST? Do you have the Smarttune feature? If so, this "may" tune it out with the suggested VE adjustments, but all that could mean is it's throwing fuel at the problem instead of fixing it.........ie, proper timing.

Old 01-19-2010 | 09:10 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior

I think I would be much happier giving up a few horses in exchange for no pinging.

Unless you like tearing the motor apart to replace stuff.

Old 01-19-2010 | 12:14 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

MB, your old map would have all of the previous values, including timing.

Taking 3* of timing out of only the 90-100 kpa -- 3000-3100 rpm cells would not have a dramatic effect on the engine's performance. If the engine is performing differently outside of those cells, more was done to the map than simply changing those cells.

Old 01-19-2010 | 12:54 PM
masterblaster
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks guys, I agree they mush have done more, I will put old map back in and see what happens. Darren it only pings in that range when I put it under heavy load. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2010 | 01:05 PM
cmcsns
Road Master

There's a good tuner (trained by Doc) at Leesburg (Fl) HD, also Doc is right in that area which is a little bit closer than Tx

Old 01-19-2010 | 01:24 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Thanks guys, I agree they mush have done more, I will put old map back in and see what happens. Darren it only pings in that range when I put it under heavy load. Thanks.
I had the same problem. A tiny bit of timing pulled in the problem area(as Carl described) fixed it without tuning out the performance. However, if your bike is running like a pig, you need to bring it back and get them to tune it right because hacking the current tune may present more ill effects.

My $.02

Old 01-19-2010 | 01:35 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Jerry, you REALLY don't want PING. It can be detrimental to your build, ESPECIALLY if you can hear it, since it's surpassed knock retard where you normally may not hear it.

You have the SEST? Do you have the Smarttune feature? If so, this "may" tune it out with the suggested VE adjustments, but all that could mean is it's throwing fuel at the problem instead of fixing it.........ie, proper timing.
This isnt really true. An engine with proper timing will ping if it isnt getting enough fuel.

Use the SEST logging to measure the conditions under which the ping is occuring - bring up the knock retard front and rear traces and then have a look at the MAP, TP, VE and advance.

If you look at the attached screen capture you can see the computer is pulling out 8 degrees of timing to stop the ping. The rear cyl isnt pinging at all, just the front.

The front and rear are running similar timing, so timing is unlikely to be the problem. When I checked the VE maps the front was lower than the rear in this area.

To fix this I upped the VE around 2750 and the problem is gone. I never touched the timing.

DO NOT pull out timing unless you have tried adding fuel. You will loose torque very rapidly because the engine is running lean AND the timing is retarded.

Attached Thumbnails Pinging issue-ping.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010 | 02:07 PM
timvan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kingkingking
the timing is retarded.
Short bus?

MB have you tried to add a octane booster? Does it still ping under load?

Quick Reply: Pinging issue