Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droid cell phone holder for handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010 | 09:22 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

i have the same problem
Originally Posted by Rain
Anyone have an issue with interence using their Droid on their bike when the charger is plugged it? When I have mine plugged in and the key turned to run or the bike running I get a lot of interence like high-pitched beeps and other weird sounds when using Pandora or the native music player. Tried a different charger and got the same thing.

Old 08-02-2010 | 03:48 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

I found this on an Android forum:

"When you find a map on the web you think you might need for Droid sat-nav, just use the "save to..." link and save it to your My Maps map.

Then, on the Droid, click on maps, then layers, more layers, My Maps, your saved Google map (The Droid grabs it for you). Now you have the layer on your map. Click the small icon in the bottom left, which will bring up all the adresses on your custom Google map. Pick the one you want, then choose navigate. There you go. "

I got the map to open on the Droid but am not sure how to get it to navigate using the map that I created.
I can get it to do what you said, but since I would like to go a different (scenic) way that I plotted out it won't do that, it will just navigate the way it wants to (fastest way)....

that is a good trick though to make waypoints and then just navigate to waypoints which is what I have to do on my older garmin.

I also played with it in my car yesterday and found that if its on navigation and plugged into the charger the screen doesn't go into sleep mode which is good too.

Edited: I got the Iphone 3 mount today, and just wanted to add that to use this mount you can't have a cover on the phone, mine comes off pretty easily but keep that in mind, it also covers up the power input, so I took my dremel to it and now its good.

Last edited by y2kflhr; 08-02-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added info about mount....
Old 08-02-2010 | 09:12 PM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by y2kflhr
I can get it to do what you said, but since I would like to go a different (scenic) way that I plotted out it won't do that, it will just navigate the way it wants to (fastest way)....

Edited: I got the Iphone 3 mount today, and just wanted to add that to use this mount you can't have a cover on the phone, mine comes off pretty easily but keep that in mind, it also covers up the power input, so I took my dremel to it and now its good.
I did find out that being able to have it navigate your custom match is a popular feature and that Google is supposed to be working on it.

I bought a nice polished aluminum handlebar clamp that has the same size ball mount that the Droid auto mount uses and took the cradle off of the car mount and use it with the clamp. Looks great and the phone is solid in it.

The only problem for me is that if I hook the car charger up to it on the bike there's so much noise it's hard to listen to. If I'm doing a short ride it's okay but probably not so great for long trips where it'll wear the battery down (it'd suck to need the phone on the road and it be dead from listening to music). I stopped by a car-stereo shop today picked up an in-line noise suppressor and hooked it up and it didn't help at all. Not sure where to go from here. It's still the best phone I've ever had though.

Old 08-03-2010 | 05:59 AM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

I guess I really have to try and ride the bike, not listen to it in the garage!

seriously thats going to suck, I have an xm unit on the other handlebar so I guess I could go back and forth with them so I can charge the phone while I am riding.

Old 08-03-2010 | 06:32 AM
kyote
Road Master

Originally Posted by Badbagger
I don't have a "fancy" phone lol but do have an Ipod and GPS etc. I jest put my damn phone on my belt and if ya wanna talk to me, just leave a damn voicemail thank you very much.
There are some people who are lucky enough to use their ride for work purposes ( like me.. ) and need to know if they get a call. They can then pull over safely and answer when needed.

my .02 cents

Old 08-03-2010 | 07:13 AM
Rain
Tourer

I guess I really have to try and ride the bike, not listen to it in the garage!

seriously thats going to suck, I have an xm unit on the other handlebar so I guess I could go back and forth with them so I can charge the phone while I am riding.
You may not have to leave the garage to know how well it works. With mine if I hook everything up, open Pandora or the the native music player, start playing a song, pause it, then turn the ignition switch to on I can hear the loud hum, pops and high-pitched random tones. Start the bike and it gets worse.

The first time I used it with the charger riding I thought something on the bike was intermittently squeaking real bad. Swicthed the stereo to FM and the noises all went away.

Guess it could my bike but not sure. Don't have an auxillary input on the stereo in my truck so can't try it there. I get no noise from the Droid in the truck when using it's built-in speaker for GPS navigation while plugged into the charger though.

I'm going to call Verizon about it but don't have high-hopes there really.

Old 08-03-2010 | 07:36 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

You may not have to leave the garage to know how well it works. With mine if I hook everything up, open Pandora or the the native music player, start playing a song, pause it, then turn the ignition switch to on I can hear the loud hum, pops and high-pitched random tones. Start the bike and it gets worse.

The first time I used it with the charger riding I thought something on the bike was intermittently squeaking real bad. Swicthed the stereo to FM and the noises all went away.

Guess it could my bike but not sure. Don't have an auxillary input on the stereo in my truck so can't try it there. I get no noise from the Droid in the truck when using it's built-in speaker for GPS navigation while plugged into the charger though.

I'm going to call Verizon about it but don't have high-hopes there really.
I get the noises on the AM stations with the charger plugged in.

Old 08-03-2010 | 12:28 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

I have had the ignition on, and the music player and nav running through the system plugged into the aux, and I didn't get any noise, it sounded as good or better than a cd, I was playing music I had downloaded into the sd card. Of course the sun is out the bike is home!

not sure if it matters I got my phone charger from some cheap place, I won't bother posting where until I am sure it is working properly....

Old 08-03-2010 | 04:22 PM
Rain
Tourer

I have had the ignition on, and the music player and nav running through the system plugged into the aux, and I didn't get any noise, it sounded as good or better than a cd, I was playing music I had downloaded into the sd card. Of course the sun is out the bike is home!

not sure if it matters I got my phone charger from some cheap place, I won't bother posting where until I am sure it is working properly....
Cool! One note on your aftermarket phone charger. When you have it plugged in and the ignition on and it's charging the Droid look at the battery meter on the Droid to see if it's detecting a charge. I tried a cheap aftermarket one in my wife's van and it looked like it was working but was losing charge. I looked at the battery meter and saw it wasn't detecting charge then read online that the Droid requires a high-output charger to actually charge while it's being used. Maybe that's why they generate so much noise?

Hopefully yours shows charge and if it does let us know what kind it is.

Old 08-03-2010 | 05:04 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

thanks for that heads up, I never would have thought of that!

Well I did set it up and it works like a charm!, no noise, I only took it around the block but the gps found my home to get me there and there was no ground noise.

I got my charger from the cellphoneshop.net, it was pretty cheap from what I remember. I am still not totally comfortable with the iphone holder so I will be putting a rubberband around it until I can get a small velcro strap.

updates to come....

Quick Reply: Droid cell phone holder for handlebars