Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droid cell phone holder for handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010 | 10:25 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rain
Anyone tried any of the antiglare screen protectors and if so what brand and did it help?
I bought the screen protector that Verizon sells for the phone. No antiglare properties to it.

Old 06-10-2010 | 07:48 AM
Retrax
Tourer

Here's what I did to adapt mine to a RAM mount. I bought the Motorola car mount. The cradle snaps off the mounting arm with a sliding dual "T-Slot" mount. I found a T-slot to AMPS mount adapter on Ebay for about 3 bucks. The RAM ball is attached to a small square plate with 4 holes in it which bolts to the T-Slot/AMPS adapter (about 1/4 inch thick) the cradle can then slide and snap on and off the adapter. I roughened the back of the cradle and adapter with sand paper and epoxied them together. The Droid clicks firmly into the cradle but I use a small rubber band to wrap around them just to make sure they don't come uncoupled. I can attach my cigarette charger cord to it and leave it plugged in on my street glide to keep the battery charged.

Old 06-10-2010 | 07:54 PM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by Retrax
Here's what I did to adapt mine to a RAM mount. I bought the Motorola car mount. The cradle snaps off the mounting arm with a sliding dual "T-Slot" mount. I found a T-slot to AMPS mount adapter on Ebay for about 3 bucks. The RAM ball is attached to a small square plate with 4 holes in it which bolts to the T-Slot/AMPS adapter (about 1/4 inch thick) the cradle can then slide and snap on and off the adapter. I roughened the back of the cradle and adapter with sand paper and epoxied them together. The Droid clicks firmly into the cradle but I use a small rubber band to wrap around them just to make sure they don't come uncoupled. I can attach my cigarette charger cord to it and leave it plugged in on my street glide to keep the battery charged.
You found a cheaper method for sure. I ended up using Gorilla glue to glue the phone cradle to the T-slot myself.

Really got to try it out on the way to work and back today, about 42 miles round trip. Pandora is great on it.

For right now I just use the Verizon adapter plugged into the receptacle in the fairing and wrap the cord around the handlebar then plug into the phone. I noticed weird sounds on the way home and found that when the power adapter is plugged in and there's silence in a track or if you pause Pandora you can hear muted radio through the fairing speakers. Unplug the adapter and it stops. Somehow the cord is causing radio pickup and interference. Anyone else experienced this?

Eventually I think I'm going to take a lighter plug that has a usb outlet on it out of it's plastic case and put it in a plastic box, mount it under the fairing, power it off the unused auxillary switch, plug a usb cord into it then run the usb cable up the handlebar to the phone for a cleaner look.

Old 06-10-2010 | 10:10 PM
Harleymopar
Intermediate

Let's see, I can ride all day long as long as my office can get in touch with me by phone. I opted for cardo headset with bluetooth, with Itouch Ipod , riders claw (looks awsome) so ride while I work listen to music, occasionally have to answer phone. Works for me!!

Old 07-06-2010 | 03:14 PM
TitoFTW
Road Master

So, anybody heard anything from ridersclaw on if they plan to market one to hold the Droid? Since there's no mention of it on their website, I'm guessing the answer is "no". Pity.

Old 07-20-2010 | 04:05 PM
ictdog
Intermediate

I am not sure if this is gong to assist anyone due to the time elapsed since the last post, but I solved my Droid issue by mounting the Ram Mount that replaces the hand control mount on the left side and the cradle I use is the iPhone mount. It fits the Droid snug and I can use it in landscape or upright mode, depending on the application running. Very inexpensive and very secure.
The mounting bracket: http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mot...inch-ball.html
The cradle:http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-app...nt-cradle.html
And as I discovered that they forget to tell you...you need this also need a diamond plate with 1 inch ball to make the cradle attach to the mount via a one inch arm (also needed)...
Total cost was under $30 for me...

Old 07-20-2010 | 04:46 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Do you have a picture of your setup installed? Looks pretty cost effective. Wonder if it will fit the Incredible.

Old 07-20-2010 | 05:05 PM
Indiana Bob
Intermediate

ICTDOG I would love to see a pic too. I am about to do something to use my Droid instead of my Nuvi. I like the droid's turn by turn better AND its smaller. ICTDOG does the Ipod cradle fit the Droid securely or do you teher also? Thanks for you help in this.

Old 07-20-2010 | 05:20 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rysess20
The Motorola mount has a magnet that puts the phone into GPS mode as soon as its clicked in....
Do you have a Droid? The magnet does not put the Droid in the GPS mode, it just tells the Droid that it is in a car mount just like the magnet in the multimedia mount tells it that it is in that mount.

I suspect the phone to manufacture a mount for now is the new Droid X.

Old 07-20-2010 | 05:22 PM
TravelingBiker
Tourer
Default Wish they had one for other platforms (ie: HTC Incredible, Motorola X, etc)

I would use it for my Incredible (android phone) for GPS and music. I think that would be great!

It looks sharp! I'd put one on my bike.

Quick Reply: Droid cell phone holder for handlebars