Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droid cell phone holder for handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010 | 02:40 PM
Retrax
Tourer

Originally Posted by GAZippoman
I leave my Blackberry in the tourpack. Let them leave a message@

I can understand using it as a GPS and even as a MP3 player. But if you're going to do all that, why not go with the Garmin Zumo? GPS, XM radio and bluetooth so you COULD use the phone.
Because if you are already going to carry your droid around in a pocket it is much cheaper to buy a mount VS buying a Garmin Zumo!

Old 02-06-2010 | 05:29 PM
Cokie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Retrax
Because if you are already going to carry your droid around in a pocket it is much cheaper to buy a mount VS buying a Garmin Zumo!
I agree, DROID has all of this in itself......why buy another unit? Maybe this guy did not understand what the DROID really is? I think people are thinking that the DROID can only make phone calls, when in actuality it does everything plus about a million others the stand alone GPS units do not do, plus makes calls......
I did not write to the company that makes that DROID motorcycle mount so, please make sure it comes with the magnets to use it in GPS mode!! I will write to ask since I posted the link.

Old 02-06-2010 | 07:10 PM
Retrax
Tourer

I have been going through the same thought process. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Zumo 660 when I heard about the 665 coming out so I waited. Then it came time to upgrade my phone and I got rid of the Blackberry and bought a Droid when it came available. The Droid has a 16Gig memory card (you can upgrade to a 32 and it might even support 64 gigs!). It does turn by turn navigation with some pretty awesome maps, connects to the internet with a HTML type browser, has GPS speedo applications, can play music, video, has AD2P Stereo bluetooth, live weather and radar, and probably does a ton of other stuff I don't even know about.

I really like this thing! I am hard pressed to pay $999.00 plus another $175.00 or so for a locking Touratech mount, and go with the Zumo to replace my old but dependable Quest. Even after online discounts I would eventually have to shell out about 800 bucks for the Zumo 665. People would probably be less interested in trying to steal my cell phone too. I have a couple nice stereos but I decided to leave the stock one in my truck because I was sick of having to pop off the faceplate every time I parked somewhere (I live in an area where stuff "disappears" pretty fast if left for curious eyes to see).

I think I might do what one of the other users did here and modify my Droid car mount and adapt it to the bike. That way I can get rid of the Ipod and Quest at the same time.

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:04 AM
Cokie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cokie
Go to the bottom of the page and goto the box and at the bottom is one for the droid.

http://ipodcarparts.com/motorcyclebi...ces-p-375.html
This unit does put the DROID into landscape/GPS mode. $34.99

Old 02-07-2010 | 07:10 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain

[QUOTE=Retrax;I think I might do what one of the other users did here and modify my Droid car mount and adapt it to the bike. That way I can get rid of the Ipod and Quest at the same time.[/QUOTE]

I just bought an extra car mount for the the mod I did above...It was like $16 after a verizon discount that I had. You don't even really have to buy a second mount as it just un-screws from the back and you can switch it back an forth to the suction cup part for the car. :-)

Old 02-07-2010 | 08:24 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I don't have a "fancy" phone lol but do have an Ipod and GPS etc. I jest put my damn phone on my belt and if ya wanna talk to me, just leave a damn voicemail thank you very much.

Old 02-07-2010 | 09:48 AM
Painter Dave
5th Gear

cheaper to mod car mount

Last edited by Painter Dave; 02-07-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-07-2010 | 09:55 AM
kpiskin
Intermediate

The point with the Droid is that it is a GPS, not just a phone. Why buy a separate GPS unit for several hundred dollar more when you have a perfect GPS within the Droid? Google Maps works wonderfully, and I love the fact that I can just say "navigate to" whatever point or address and it figures it out 95% of the time. I don't have to touch anything. Droid GPS also works in portrait or landscape mode so you have some flexibility in how you view it or mount it.

Old 02-07-2010 | 10:15 AM
Cokie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Badbagger
I don't have a "fancy" phone lol but do have an Ipod and GPS etc. I jest put my damn phone on my belt and if ya wanna talk to me, just leave a damn voicemail thank you very much.
I take it that you do not take in what you read with great accomplishment. The DROID is a GPS-MP3 Player-IPOD-and Phone. For what you are using an Ipod and GPS for the DROID alone can do, plus a million other things!! People see phone and close their minds to everything else they are reading, so the do not see the capabilities of the unit they are reading about!!......... Just saying....though right?

Old 02-07-2010 | 10:18 AM
Painter Dave
5th Gear

done deal

Last edited by Painter Dave; 02-11-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Droid cell phone holder for handlebars