Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droid cell phone holder for handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010 | 01:14 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by darrinfish
Try RAM Mounts, they sell all kinds of mounts and they are rubber mounted to cut down on the vibration.
yes, but will they work with the Brodit phone holder?

Old 08-07-2010 | 12:41 PM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Well, the noise I get is not from a loose connection. Its a weird electronic whirring noise. But it seems to only affect the AM radio.
The ground loop isolator did appear to take almost all of the noise out of the stereo when using the Droid. I had to use their isolator and two RCA to 3.5mm cables with it and before I could pull the outer fairing off to mount it out of site my wife bought me an iPod Nano.

For now I took the isolator and cables back and will use the iPod. I have seen a small ground loop isolater that has 3.5mm ends on it online for under 20.00 so might order one in the near future to see if it will work.

Old 08-07-2010 | 12:44 PM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by psychocircus
Now I have noticed some cracking lately from the auxiliary plugs at the phone end but its a loose connection from the auxiliary plug not seating fully in the plug. I have another cable from rshack that's basic and it does not have this problem. Thinks some auxiliary cable are somewhat loose in the connections to be getting any background noise from the scoot.
There is a known issue with the audio out jack on some of the Motorola Droids where static gets worse and one channel all but goes out. If the phone is still under warranty Verizon will swap you phones if you can make the issue happen in the store. They replaced mine for this same problem once.

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:44 AM
Rain
Tourer
Default Droid noise in stereo gone!

Well the iPod lasted about three days before the skip song button wouldn't work anymore.

Really wanted to use the Droid instead so searched the web more and found a VW forum where they had found a resolution for the issue. What they used was a Griffin Noise-Reducing Audio Cable (http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ng-audio-cable).

Returned the iPod and went to Microcenter and picked up the cable for 19.99 plus tax and tried it and it took all of the noise out (the cable can be found online much cheaper but I wanted to try it on a planned trip so picked it up locally). The cable has a small black plastic box about midway through the cable that may be a ground loop isolator, not sure.

I took the outer fairing off and ran the cable through where the handlebars come out of the inner fairing on both sides to hide the extra length (cable is 6' long) and secured the black plastic box with wire ties. I used the Droid for over 500 miles on a road trip to the National Motorcycle Museum and JP Cycles this past weekend for music and navigation with the Verizon charger and it worked perfectly.

I know the root of this problem is supposed to be bad grounds so may go through the connections over the winter but this works great for now!

Old 08-23-2010 | 06:56 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Well, don't waste your money on the "extended life" battery from Seidio. It doesn't last any longer than the original battery.

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:19 PM
Lawdawg
|
Road Warrior

Droid X or Droid 2, i wonder which one would work best on the bike.

Old 10-04-2010 | 01:00 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

just a quick update, i have an incredible and i have been using it as my gps and also for music for awhile now and it has worked pretty much flawlessly, i have 2 sets of 3.5 mm plugs one for the xm unit that had previously that was on the master cylinder, and another for the droid which is mounted on the other side, i just swap plugs depending what I am using.

Now the bad part...I wore gloves for the first time this weekend...the screen will not recognize commands with gloves on!!!

oh well

Old 05-11-2011 | 05:38 PM
BobberManDan
Stage I
Default Not As Nice but...

Here is a holder I found on e-bay. Now its not as nice as the $100+ one...But it gets the jobs done.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLE-Bike-...item43a6a6d5c8

Old 05-11-2011 | 05:43 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BobberManDan
Here is a holder I found on e-bay. Now its not as nice as the $100+ one...But it gets the jobs done.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLE-Bike-...item43a6a6d5c8
Looks like the clamp will only fit small, 1" dia., handlebars.They don't say for sure.

Old 05-11-2011 | 05:49 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

I have a Droid X, mounted in a RAM mount with the short fingers. The car cradle is not necessary for it to work, and it works great with the included (for free) Google mapping and navigation, which includes satellite mapping. As you ride, what you see on the screen is what you see down the road. It also comes standard with a 32 memory. I prefer using it in the vertical position, as it shows the road ahead farther than in the horizontal position, plus it doesn't block any of my gauges in the vertical position.

The one drawback is that gloved fingers do not work on the touch screen.

Here's where I got the mount.

http://www.mountguys.com/SearchResul...24&Search.y=17

Last edited by MNPGRider; 05-11-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Droid cell phone holder for handlebars