Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droid cell phone holder for handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010 | 08:43 PM
Rain
Tourer

I might be onto something with the Droid noise. I spoke with a few people, one at an electronics shop and one at a car stereo shop, a few days ago about a ground loop isolator I'd read about online. Both told me that would do any good when I described the problem (at least they didn't say "that's normal").

For the heck of it I went by Radio Shack after work today and picked one up and using RCA to 3.5mm cables that I had around the house hooked it up and no buzz, pops or high-pitched squeal with the key on or the bike running. For about the first 30 seconds after starting the bike I could hear the plugs firing through the stereo then it quit and I could not get it to do it again. Hopefully I'll ride to work tommorrow and see how it does.

Funny even the guy at Radio Shack didn't think it would help but he did agree to take it back if it didn't.

I'll post results.

Old 08-03-2010 | 09:30 PM
Lawdawg
|
Road Warrior

I did receive an email from riders claw asking for help or ideas to make the riders claw for the Droid.
I also learned or figured something out that was kind of cool. If i plug my Blackberry into the radio using the auxiliary and the male (both ends) cord. You can talk through the helmet head sets on an ultra. Not that I would do this while riding, however I did check it out in the garage. I had everything plugged in and called the wife. It worked! Kind of a cool little trick.

Old 08-04-2010 | 10:45 AM
psychocircus
Road Master

I get zero noise from the Droid while riding..on anything running from it. I've had GPS talking to me with Pandora running and even get the 'drrooid' notifications when something comes in. Now I have noticed some cracking lately from the auxiliary plugs at the phone end but its a loose connection from the auxiliary plug not seating fully in the plug. I have another cable from rshack that's basic and it does not have this problem. Thinks some auxiliary cable are somewhat loose in the connections to be getting any background noise from the scoot.

Old 08-04-2010 | 11:09 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Well, the noise I get is not from a loose connection. Its a weird electronic whirring noise. But it seems to only affect the AM radio.

Old 08-04-2010 | 12:35 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
I did receive an email from riders claw asking for help or ideas to make the riders claw for the Droid.
I also learned or figured something out that was kind of cool. If i plug my Blackberry into the radio using the auxiliary and the male (both ends) cord. You can talk through the helmet head sets on an ultra. Not that I would do this while riding, however I did check it out in the garage. I had everything plugged in and called the wife. It worked! Kind of a cool little trick.
I would be interested in a better fitting case that would be ram mountable....
I have to see if I can talk through mine with the headset...that would be awesome!!!

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Well, the noise I get is not from a loose connection. Its a weird electronic whirring noise. But it seems to only affect the AM radio.
I was playing with my setup last night and I am getting some ground hum into my xm unit which is power hardwired into the lighter that has a better 3.5 cable than the cheap one connected to the droid, I wonder if that might be the key to your problem? maybe try a few different cords??

Old 08-04-2010 | 12:42 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Seriously?? A hundred bucks for a phone mount ? I'm all about capitalism, but there ain't a chance I'm paying that much.

Highway frickin robbery right there. If they want their product to sell cut the price is a drastic way.

Old 08-06-2010 | 11:29 AM
nibutto
Novice

HTC desire

http://www.brodit.com/?main=producti...jsp&anr=513141

I've installed it to my street glide.
You have free google navi, phone calls over your stereo, mp3 shuffle and with equalizer (mixzing apk),....
and when you reach your destination phone is always charged.

Old 08-06-2010 | 12:33 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by nibutto
HTC desire

http://www.brodit.com/?main=producti...jsp&anr=513141

I've installed it to my street glide.
You have free google navi, phone calls over your stereo, mp3 shuffle and with equalizer (mixzing apk),....
and when you reach your destination phone is always charged.
the holders look nice. How did you install to your SG?

Old 08-06-2010 | 01:11 PM
darrinfish
Cruiser

Try RAM Mounts, they sell all kinds of mounts and they are rubber mounted to cut down on the vibration.

Old 08-06-2010 | 01:13 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I just bought an extended life battery from these guys http://www.mygearstore.com/seidio-in...credible-black

use discount code "mygear10", with free shipping it was $40.45. That's cheaper than it was on Amazon. I've read good reviews about this battery on the Droid Forum.

Quick Reply: Droid cell phone holder for handlebars