Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

southern California

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
FLHXDAN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone here know about the roads along the California pacific shore from the Imperial area North towards Camp Pendleton?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXDAN
Does anyone here know about the roads along the California pacific shore from the Imperial area North towards Camp Pendleton?
Imperial Valley? I would take the 8w to Sunrise Hwy then north through Laguna and down through Julian then east on the 78 till you get to the 79. Go north on the 79 and make a left on the 76. That will take you all the way to Camp Pendleton. All very nice roads.

Attached Thumbnails southern California-sdmap.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly you're referring here to the Imperial Sand Dunes area (Glamis) where HWY 78 either starts or is nearly started from the Brawley area all the way NW to the coast at Oceanside. Lane-splitting is not listed in the California Vehicle Code... Lane SHARING is permitted within 40 mph or less of vehicles being passed. It is legal to drive on the right shoulder - as long as you don't pass another vehicle on your left. Although it is a new development, lane sharing between the HOV lane and #1 lane has all the motorcycle activity on it where HOV lanes run next to the #1 lane. I ride this all the time during commuting (rush) hours and both riders and the police use this "middle ground" as a lane. I've never been ticketed for being there, for what it's worth. If you want some real fun, lane share on an FLH with me on HYW 56, where the freeway lanes are more narrow - you'll see why my highway pegs are INSIDE my crash bars!!! San Diego county gets cooler going inland, but we're only talking about 5-10 degrees at night (until you get into the mountains). During the day, it's typically 5-10 degrees warmer going inland. Once again, the mountains are the exception where the higher altitude can mean rain, snow, high winds, or a 30-degree temperature difference, pack with this in mind. The riding is some of the best I've ever experienced, with mountain passes, desert grades, and sleepy country meadows on lightly-travelled 2-lane highways. Where it gets squirrley is going to the coast - massive urbanization, freeways all over the place, congested beach approaches and very slow coastal corridors like HWY 101. Proceed with caution!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
FLHXDAN
Intermediate

I like the route you are suggesting blkbagger. I think I will take that. What do you know about South farther like 94 (Campo Rd) Westward towards and getting on Silver Strand Blvd through Coronado and driving the coastline as much as possible?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Dirsuper
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RThomas4223
And, if the motorcyclist hits something (like a cager's mirror), "it's the biker's fault. Next question."
I did this on the way to work Monday morning. I felt/feel like a moron. Of course it was a nice BMW that I hit. I gave the dude my insurance info but asked him to call me with the quote first (afraid of what insurance company would do).....I just can't wait to hear this quote! I basically just scratched his mirror....but, it is a newer BMW. I really feel like a frigging idiot. However, good wake-up for me that splitting lanes on tight streets (Nimitz, just off the 8 for those familiar) it NOT a good idea....for me at least.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
FLHXDAN
Intermediate

Thanks Firetender. Someone earlier did suggest the route along the Sultan Sea. But I was wondering Imperial South of San Diego. And I appreciate the freeway instructions as I have never been on California Highways other than along the East side of the state. Have done quite a bit of Arizona riding, mostly in Februarys of past. I really appreciate the input.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
phobos512
3rd Gear

I know this is my first post and all but I have to say it really bugs me when erroneous information on lane sharing / splitting in California is given out. There is NO reference in the California Vehicle Code to lane sharing or splitting. It is mentioned on the CHP website and ONLY the CHP website in an FAQ:

Originally Posted by http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html
Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.
You guys that have stated otherwise, post where you believe lane splitting is mentioned in the CVC. I see this time and time again on motorcycle site after motorcycle site and all it does is encourage people to spread misinformation.

That said, I'm in the high desert 35 miles north of Mojave and what the other poster said was correct - pretty cold in the morning, mid-50s by 1300.

And the vest requirement for bases varies by base / service. Here at China Lake there are no restrictions in the daytime (for color anyway - need full coverage on the upper body, full coverage on the lower body, over the ankle boots, gloves, and of course full face helmet or helmet with motorcycle rated protective eyewear). Bright colors are recommended and after sunset reflective vests are required.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLHXDAN
I like the route you are suggesting blkbagger. I think I will take that. What do you know about South farther like 94 (Campo Rd) Westward towards and getting on Silver Strand Blvd through Coronado and driving the coastline as much as possible?
I have taken that route. I pick up the 98 at Calexico off of the 111 and head west. The 98 will join the 8 for a while. You will need to take the 94 Campo Road exit.

The 94 is some great backroad riding. It rejoins the 8 and takes you to the coast.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM
FLHXDAN
Intermediate

Sounds great, steelknee57. Have you done any riding along the Coast say from Imperial to Coronado and North from there? Mapquest only shows approx 50 miles from Imperial to Camp Pendleton.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are talking about Imperial Beach. The strand is OK if you are looking to get close to the coast but I won't even ride through Coronado. The cops there are real asswipes. They try to generate all the income they can from anyone and everyone. My Daughter works there. I have been harassed many times over the years in Coronado. A buddy of mine got pulled over for a novelty helmet and they towed his bike. Not good in my book. If you are looking to ride along the coast you need to get off the 5 fwy at around Mission Bay and ride the coast freeway north. That will give you the ride I think you are looking for. I work by the Airport and tend to ride the mountains 99% of the time. I do my best to keep away from the city. The coast is full of stop and go riding I must warn you. Also If you are looking to ride along the beach the coast hwy just south of Camp Pendleton is pretty nice.

Quick Reply: southern California