Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

southern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 AM
hksigman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by El Rey
Riding in San Diego area or anywhere in southern California is a year round thing. If you're moving from a colder climate like myself coming from Virginia...it's a rider's paradise.

As one poster said, you can lane split. but let me correct that statement, you can split any lane. The unwritten rule is to split the #1 and #2.
I grew up in va beach. Where in va were you?
yeah as others have said besides this week with the wicked "el nino" rains weather is always nice to ride in San Diego

Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RThomas4223

The freeways are quite intimidating if you've never done it before. And, "white lining" on a bagger is . . . interesting. BTW, California does allow motorcyclists to split lanes ["white line"] between the #1 (fast) & #2 (half-fast) lane, but not between #2 & #3, etc.
I haven't heard about that rule, is it new?

If you ride on base, you'll need long sleeve shirt, and full fingered leather gloves, DOT helmet (although I don't think they check that) and glasses. Camp Pendleton has an ok road to ride. Basilone Rd is pretty nice.

Coming from Phoenix, you could take the 8 west, take 111 north up around the Salton Sea, grab 78 west or 76 west towards the coast.
And don't forget your orange vest on base. The ride on the 78 from Salton Sea has got to be the best ride in the area.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el rey
riding in san diego area or anywhere in southern california is a year round thing. If you're moving from a colder climate like myself coming from virginia...it's a rider's paradise.

As one poster said, you can lane split. But let me correct that statement, you can split any lane. The unwritten rule is to split the #1 and #2.
clarification.... That's not a rule unwritten or otherwise, it's more of a common sense thing. Between #1 and #2 lanes there is less lane activity. Fewer cars making stupid moves, equates to less chance of a mistake on either driver or rider. No gaurantee's anywhere at any time, but it does cut down the odds.

That being said so ca has an abundance of locally grown moron and idiot drivers, thrown together with a staggering number of third world drivers with no real concept of any kind of driving rules. Makes for an interesting commute everyday, to say the least.

Nate

Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hksigman
I grew up in va beach. Where in va were you?
Alexandria.

I live in Imperial Beach now.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=IAMSWUTIAMS;6122327And don't forget your orange vest on base.

Actually you DO NOT need a reflective vest on Camp Pendleton, that stopped last spring.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BAGGERNATE
clarification.... That's not a rule unwritten or otherwise, it's more of a common sense thing. Between #1 and #2 lanes there is less lane activity.
Therefore, it is an "unwritten rule." Check the CA state regulations. To quote it; "Lane sharing shall be done with prudence."

It does not state which lanes for doing this, it is common acceptence to split the #1 and #2 lanes.

And believe me, coming from Washington DC with way more traffic then Dago and more foreign drivers then Dago, I understand what you're saying.

I've lane split in TJ and it was not fun.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Merced, Central Calif. it is currently 49 degrees with rain. When the rain stops we'll have fog for a couple days with visibility about 1/4 mile.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

[quote=El Rey;6122631][quote=IAMSWUTIAMS;6122327And don't forget your orange vest on base.

Actually you DO NOT need a reflective vest on Camp Pendleton, that stopped last spring.[/QUOTE]

Now that I think about it, I've noticed that the guys don't seem to be wearing them anymore.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=IAMSWUTIAMS;6122770]

Now that I think about it, I've noticed that the guys don't seem to be wearing them anymore.
Yeah, it's kinda nice, now i gotta wear one all the time on base here in Iraq. Kind of funny.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 AM
FLHXDAN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of my ride from Phoenix to Camp Pendleton and back, I am thinking of landing in Sedona Arizona. Not sure if going that far North in Feb is a good idea or not. The Kingman area appears to be warm enough, but I know Flagstaff can be bad. Does anyone know any good routes without going all the way to Interstate 40?

Quick Reply: southern California