Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88" to 95" ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Gigantor
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88" to 95" ideas

ill preface this with saying i know jack squat about engine building so im comming to this forum to get some ideas and feedback so when i pull the trigger on the upgrade i can make an informed decision.

talked to my local dealer (st. paul harley) about doing a 95" upgrade. long story short im looking at roughly 3500-4000 to get a build that will net me around 105 hp 110+tq. i do not know of any reputable builders in the twin cities so im using the dealer as a baseline for comparison. as of today they are running the numbers and different set ups to get what i want in terms of performance and will be getting back to me with build specifics. i do know the build will include woods cams and a camplate upgrade. things im looking for would be alternatives to a 95 as well as things to make sure i get or dont need that may try to get sold to me. feel free to pm me if any you are a vendor and put together kits that will fit this application.

again, forgive my ignorance and as always any help is appreciated.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:44 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a lot of cash to just go to a 95". I'd see if anyone on the forum is close enough to you that has experience with this that could give you a hand. I just did my 95" build with dawg and it cost me a fraction of what you were quoted and I had my heads ported and milled.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Unless you got your bike for nothing, I wouldn't waste that kind of money. If you decide in a year to sell it, all that work won't make any difference in the price. But if you got money to burn, go for it.,,

Old 01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Gigantor
Advanced

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Unless you got your bike for nothing, I wouldn't waste that kind of money. If you decide in a year to sell it, all that work won't make any difference in the price. But if you got money to burn, go for it.,,

well, therein lies the point to my upgrade. the bikes paid off and has plenty of "upgrades" on it that would run me thousands of dollars to put on a new one. id rather soup up my tried and true ride then gamble on a new scoot. the heads would be milled and ported in that price estimation. i know its alot of money thats why im comming here to get advice from the "been there done that crowd". thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
badwiser
Cruiser

sounds way high for bang for buck. check out crow river harley in Delano winter specials

http://www.crowriverhd.com/specials.asp

Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It is a lot of money to gain only 7 more cubes.My experince has been (Twice) go as many cubes as you can afford say near 20 cubes.Unless all you want is knowing you have a 95" for bragging rites.You would be better off going through your 88" and save a few dollars.Good Luck

Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Gigantor
Advanced

Originally Posted by dog155
It is a lot of money to gain only 7 more cubes.My experince has been (Twice) go as many cubes as you can afford say near 20 cubes.Unless all you want is knowing you have a 95" for bragging rites.You would be better off going through your 88" and save a few dollars.Good Luck
im sure not against going for more cubes id just like to build on what ive got and trying not to have to split the cases. i dont have a set build in mind, i guess im hoping for those in the know to chime in with alternatives or maybe someone they know locally(minneapolis/st. paul) that could steer me in the right direction.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

gigantor, how many miles on the bike? Is what you have now basically stock with, perhaps, SE a/c and exhaust changes?

I ask because I'd be concerned with having a stock bottom end with the kind of hp and tq you are seeking.

I've had HQ-0034 cams in my bike for a couple of years and passed on the 95" mod; the cam change was enough for me not to consider a high performance 95" build.

Now, with almost 60K miles on the bike, I'm planning on redoing the motor, including a stroker crank, Timken conversion, etc. primarily because I don't want to worry about the bottom end for another 50K miles or so, and there is a big difference in performance between the 95/98 builds and the same build on a 103/107.

Good luck with your research.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Gigantor
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
gigantor, how many miles on the bike? Is what you have now basically stock with, perhaps, SE a/c and exhaust changes?

I ask because I'd be concerned with having a stock bottom end with the kind of hp and tq you are seeking.

I've had HQ-0034 cams in my bike for a couple of years and passed on the 95" mod; the cam change was enough for me not to consider a high performance 95" build.

Now, with almost 60K miles on the bike, I'm planning on redoing the motor, including a stroker crank, Timken conversion, etc. primarily because I don't want to worry about the bottom end for another 50K miles or so, and there is a big difference in performance between the 95/98 builds and the same build on a 103/107.

Good luck with your research.
i have 5500 miles on my 04 ultra, and no i didnt miss a 0. i bought it new and havent put many miles on it because of a shoulder injury. however, i have a 05 thunder mountain custom with a 103" i share time with, but enjoy the ultra more. i bought a 09 streetglide for my wife to use so we could ride together that down the rode i will use to really get crazy with an engine build because she has her sights on a trike. the ultra has the stage 1 upgrade and bub exhaust front to back. ive been riding with a canned map on it for 5 years and didnt realize what a difference tuning makes till i did it on the new streetgilde. wow...what a difference.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:44 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I would look for an indy that can do something other than a S/E build. You'll get more for less. Look at http://www.tmanperformance.com/ for quality parts and dyno charts.

I'm very, very happy with my T-Man parts.

Quick Reply: 88" to 95" ideas