Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo Chopped Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's my setup. Northwoodz use of the TP backrest pads did not work on my '07 with the Mustang seat. The placement was too high and there was no lumbar support, but I can't say how this would work on your '09 or any model other than an '06 or '07. I'm using the Mustang backrest with no pads on the TP. This backrest didn't fit well at first (insufficient clearance with the TP) and I had to mod my rack to push the TP back 1¼", but that's another story.

If you try the TP pads I would have an agreement with your dealer ahead of time that if it doesn't work for you the pads can be returned.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Here's my setup. Northwoodz use of the TP backrest pads did not work on my '07 with the Mustang seat. The placement was too high and there was no lumbar support, but I can't say how this would work on your '09 or any model other than an '06 or '07. I'm using the Mustang backrest with no pads on the TP. This backrest didn't fit well at first (insufficient clearance with the TP) and I had to mod my rack to push the TP back 1¼", but that's another story.

If you try the TP pads I would have an agreement with your dealer ahead of time that if it doesn't work for you the pads can be returned.
Thanks for the tips, I'll have to look into that.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,330 Likes on 2,524 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The placement was too high and there was no lumbar support, but I can't say how this would work on your '09 or any model other than an '06 or '07. I'm using the Mustang backrest with no pads on the TP. This backrest didn't fit well at first (insufficient clearance with the TP) and I had to mod my rack to push the TP back 1¼",
i had the same issue at first. with the solo tourpak rack from hd, even on the furthest back setting, it was too far forward. replaced the hd support with the george anderson kit, kept the height correct (for aforementioned lumbar support) but was able to move the pack back enough to be able to 'lean into it'......

also, the reason my saddlebags don't open fully is because unlike the hard bags, mine are hinged from the inside, not the outside.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my setup.

Attached Thumbnails Solo Chopped Tour Pak-sg-3-.jpg   Solo Chopped Tour Pak-sg-6-.jpg   Solo Chopped Tour Pak-sg-10-.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010, 07:08 AM
donf610
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If possible, can it be set up for 2up riding?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:10 AM
donf610
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean can it be switched back and forth for solo and 2 up riding?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the way I did it. Mustang solo seat with adjustable backrest. No problems with the saddle bag lids opening using only stock HD parts with no modifications.

Attached Thumbnails Solo Chopped Tour Pak-dsc_0188.jpg   Solo Chopped Tour Pak-dsc_0202.jpg   Solo Chopped Tour Pak-dsc_0203.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 550 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by donf610
I mean can it be switched back and forth for solo and 2 up riding?
There is another mount needed from Harley for the bottom of the tour pak, along with addational docking hardware. I bought everything, so yes, it can be converted to 2 up in about 5 minutes.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

There are aftermarket slider kits that will move Tour pack from 2-up to single position but i dont have info now but if you ask im sure someone has info! Good Luck!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
There is another mount needed from Harley for the bottom of the tour pak, along with addational docking hardware. I bought everything, so yes, it can be converted to 2 up in about 5 minutes.

Quick question, you say "additional docking hardware", exactly what is needed? I'm just asking cause I ordered a solo TP, rack, etc. and I want to make sure the 4 point docking I bought is all I need to go solo. Is there a difference between the 2 point and 4 point besides the obvious? I'm thinking to make it 2up, one needs to buy a different TP rack and not a different docking correct?

Quick Reply: Solo Chopped Tour Pak