Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done 1st service at home?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Landfill_Tim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone done 1st service at home?

I've been building cars and engines since I was 10 and have a very complete set of tools. I'm new to HD though. I've done all the maint on my Yamaha except my first service. I've even done the valve adjustment on that bike.

My question how many of you did the entire 1st service and also what did it cost you. I haven't been to the stealer to price parts/fluids? If it is not that much more I would just pay them to do the first one.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone done 1st service at home?

Most folks let the stealer do the 1000 mile service and then do all their others themselves. Alot have the 1000 mile service included in the buy price of the bike. I bought mine used so I can't help you out there.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:12 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine myself. If I remember correctly, all I needed was engine oil, primary oil, tranny oil, an oil filter and some o-rings. I think total cost was about $60, but I used Syn3 in the engine and Formula+ in the tranny and primary. You'll want to get a service manual, so budget $50 for that. First service is simple and there is no reason to pay the dealer to do it.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:28 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no reason to ever have your bike back to the dealer unless it is a warranty issue or a job too big to do at home.

Preventative maintenance is very easy to do, and with the $50 service manual you will be all set.

All the 1000, 5000, 10000, etc. services are is a fluid change, general look-over of the bike, check out the tires, brakes, adjust the clutch and primary chain, and make sure everything is tight.

When you get to 50000 miles, that is when you have to change the fork oil.......a little more involved then the normal service.

Steve

Old 07-20-2006, 05:57 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike goes to the dealer..... STRICTLY for WARRANTY issues only. Even then, I cringe and hope they don't carelessly screw something else up...like they did today!

Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 AM
kpshooter
Cruiser

My friends told me to let the dealer do the first service at 1K then do the rest myself. Sounds like good advice to me.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Landfill_Tim
Cruiser

Thought you would like to know that I spoke with the dealer today. They told me there would be no problem with me completing the normal maint myself, just need to doc and keep receipts.

Pretty Cool.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:56 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in 2005 when I bought my 05 Ultra, I was told that the dealer needed to do the 1K service (as they flushed the oil, etc.) Maybe that was a bunch of bull , but the 1K was the only service I had the stealer do.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
kissfan
Intermediate

I DO MY OWN WORK. JUST DID MY 06 KING. AMSOIL IN ALL THREE HOLES. PRETTY SIMPLE, EVERTHING WAS GOOD. I HAD SOME TROUBLE WITH HER COUGHING AND STALLING AT FIRST. WENT TO THE GOOD OLE STEALER FOR SOME GOOD ADVISE (YEAH RIGHT) THEY TOLD ME THIS WAS NORMAL WITH THE 06 S ?????????? AND TO TRY RACING FUEL ????? I PUT A COBRA CHIP IN HER AND PIPES NOW SHE RUNS GREAT. LIKE SOMEONE HERE SAID BEFORE. DO NOT TRUST THE STEALER I CAN'T SAY WE HAVE ANY WORTH ANYTHING IN DELAWARE.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:09 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

At 500 miles last week I did my own mini service. I been breaking in the bike (06 street glide) in 90+ degree temperatures so I'm changing oil and filter a bit early. When I get to 1000 miles I'll do it again only this time I'll do the other checks as well per the manual. Anyone with basic knowledge and a service manual can handle it and be confident its done right not to mention saving quite a few bucks and no need to worry about getting the bike back with mysterious scratches that the dealer swears he knows nothing about. Its not rocket science or brain surgery and I think everyone should be as familiar with their bike as possible. Besides if you are unsure of something just come here to HD forums and someone will be willing to give you good sound honest advice. Thats more than I ever got from the dealer...................BG

Quick Reply: Has anyone done 1st service at home?