Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my clutch right on my 09EGS ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
mrthinkshesfunny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch right on my 09EGS ???

Today I was moving my 09 EGS in the garage after installing some longer shift levers.With the engine off in first gear with the clutch lever pulled all the way to the bar,I couldn't roll the bike.For that matter,I can't roll it in any other gear either.In neutral with the clutch either in or out it moves ok.So I hop on here and do a search and find some others have had some similiar issues and the general remedy was to reset the clutch and cable.The bike only has 6200 miles on it and is only about 800 miles past the 5K service I had done at the local HD dealer.I think most likely they didn't double check the clutch because its nearly new.So,I reset the clutch and cable( I had done this on my 05 FXDI a couple times and apparently did it right) according to the HD service manual. It is still the same as it was.I still can't roll the bike in gear,clutch pulled to the bar,engine off.WTF. I started it to see if I could move around in gear with the clutch pulled in and it seemed like I could but it did seem like it was dragging the rpms down .I started it in first gear( clutch pulled in)to see if it would lurch like some have said it would if the clutch is grabbing and it did in fact seem to have some forward movement but it wasn't continuos.I'm certain I could roll my FXDI around all I wanted with the clutch pulled in while in gear but that was a 5 speed maybe the 6 speed is different.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I really think I'm going to toast the clutch the way it is.If its this tight cold,when it gets hot its really going to bad.Thanks for your time

Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch. If you have a manuel it should have the procedure in there. Simply put, take the tension out of the cable, remove your derby, loosen the lock nut on the adjustment rod (11/16th wrench), run the adjustment rod in until it 'lightly' seats (clockwise, allen wrench), then back it out approx 3/4 turn (counter clockwise), lock it back down while holding the rod with the allen wrench, buttton it back up, adjust you cable and you should be good to go.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, fersure do the adjustment thang as describe in the manual. Start first in the derby, then do the cable. Get that done for practice and just to make sure all is good there.

Then discover you still got the same problem when rolling her around when cold...It's ok....it's "normal", but it's only normal cause you first did the proper clutch adjustment. It ain't lke the typical dealer "normal" where they blow you off, because you checked it yourself, huh?

So what's going on? Why is this bitch hard to roll when cold and in gear even tho you pull in the clutch? Nothing....All is as it should be.

You got a wet clutch and a whole lotta plates all stacked up and saturated in cold thick fluid trying to do the clutch thang, that's all. They will loosen up once warmed and the fluid gets really slickery and thins out a little. Click that bitch into neutral when you park her and roll her around all you want.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

What you describe is normal. The clutch plates stick together after it sits overnight due to the oil. That`s why it clunks when engaging first gear when you first ride it for the day. Go ahead and adjust the clutch properly but don`t dwell on your symptom. I`ll bet when it`s warm and ridden a bit the symptom you describe is gone.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 AM
VibratingPotato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup
What they said
Clutch on my '08 sticks when it sits for a while
Next primary oil change I'm gonna switch to automatic trans fluid
I hear good things about it and the clutch doesn't stick so bad
ATF is very clutch friendly