Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Ultra to 103 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 62pan
Talked with them @ RP and I'm looking at $450.00 to get the works, Trued - welded - plugged and balanced. The buck and a half price is trued - weld and plug. They said I probably could not tell of more vibration but for engine longevity and smoother running they strongly suggest the balance service too. Ahhh HD. Hundred bucks here thousand dollars there. Luckily I have a very understanding fun governor. $550 new crank $450 full service @ RP.
I would have thought you could buy an S&S crank for that much?? I sure woudnt go welding one of those. First 2 pics are S&S - plugged and ready to rock. 3rd is OEM.

OEM cranks are disposable, whereas S&S cranks can be pressed apart, new bearings (and rods, if required) fitted and off you go again. I suppose not many of us will put enough miles on to wear out a big end bearing anyhow.

Attached Thumbnails 88 Ultra to 103 build-micksss124crank-and-heads.jpg   88 Ultra to 103 build-micksss124crank-and-heads2.jpg   88 Ultra to 103 build-micksss124stockcrank3.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
62pan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm not doing the timken convert, just have heard so many complaints about the pressed together cranks going out of true and messing up the bottom end that I want to make every effort I can to be sure I don't even have to think about it happening If I decide to twist the wick some. I'm not talking about a 5 grand clutch dump just if I want to hit it sometime I don't want it hittin back. Mainly 2up and a little trailer but I am alone sometimes, Went to the shop today they wanted to see the heads that came with the kit and I was asking about cranks and was told from there own experience the early 99 to 05 stock 4" stroke crank will take one Hell of a beating and hold up well, But some of the later 06 up 4 3/8" cranks are slipping at the rod pin and not true from the start. You get good ones and you can get bad ones, They just come across more problems with the later cranks. Said even saw one go from a back fire while starting the bike, So for me the true and weld is just insurance. It's alot of work, I only want to do it once.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM
62pan
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLH05
When you get the new crank still check the runout.My new SE 103 crank was .010 out.
That's Bull$hit !!!!!! Brand new W T F MOCO !!!!!!

What did You do about it ? - Return it ? - Get it trued ?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM
62pan
Advanced

Originally Posted by cmzx9r
Yea they tried talking me into the full works for $450 also. And also said I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference because they run so smooth after the truing. So I figured there are lots of HD’s on the road some with over 100K miles on them that never had a balance done I would put the money towards other mods like the hydraulic cam adjusters and such. But im sure you’ll be happy either way. They are good guys.

Have you started reassembly yet ? What do you estimate it took you time wise to disassemble. What are you doing as far as remapping your ecm. I'm running the thunder max with auto tune. Still would like to dyno tune after I get some miles on it, The auto tune only adjusts air fuel ratio by what the 02 censors tell it.The timing is whats on the base map and really needs to be dynoed to bring that part of it in correctly. Had it done even with the bike in stock condition and what a difference it makes, There base maps are good but each bike is a little different. can't wait to get started on this.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:10 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Originally Posted by 62pan
Have you started reassembly yet ? What do you estimate it took you time wise to disassemble. What are you doing as far as remapping your ecm. I'm running the thunder max with auto tune. Still would like to dyno tune after I get some miles on it, The auto tune only adjusts air fuel ratio by what the 02 censors tell it.The timing is whats on the base map and really needs to be dynoed to bring that part of it in correctly. Had it done even with the bike in stock condition and what a difference it makes, There base maps are good but each bike is a little different. can't wait to get started on this.
Unfortunately im so busy with my work moving our office this weekend and going out of town next weekend that the reassembly probably wont start for two weeks.

Disassembly actually went a lot quicker then I thought it would. About 8 hours. First day I spent about 5 hours taking off tank, exhaust, lower fairings, heads, and throttle body. Second day I spent about 3 hours removing primary, pulling engine out ,removing cams, and splitting cases and removing crank.

As for mapping on the last ride of the year I rode to a local dealer and had them reflash the PCM to the 103 stage one download. I also have a power commander on the bike that I downloaded a map from the CVO forum that matches my setup. “true duals with stage one air cleaner”. After I get some miles on the bike and break it in I will have it dyno tuned by a local shop that does really great work.

I had the 103 download done at the dealer more for peace of mind. I had a friend that had a power commander fail on his sport bike while he was riding it and had to unplug it to get the bike running properly. Not that this is a common problem but it cane happen. My thought was if I had to unplug the PCIII for any reason while on the road I would be running a 103 motor on a 88 map. Not good.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Hey 62pan were at in SE Michigan are you located? I drive a tanker truck and about 90% of my stops are in Michigan.

Also if you need a good tuner we have imo one of the best dyno tuners around in Toledo. They have the cleanest state of the art shop I have ever seen and really know there ****. Mark is a great guy.

Dyno-Power
http://www.dyno-power.com/

Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
62pan
Advanced

[quote=cmzx9r;6130504]
Also if you need a good tuner we have imo one of the best dyno tuners around in Toledo. They have the cleanest state of the art shop I have ever seen and really know there ****. Mark is a great guy.

I'm just north of Detroit in Roseville. That dyno place sounds pretty good I'll check with them to see if they are familiar with the thunder max ecm as I've not found one near by that is. The place that did it last time did good but told me that they were not familiar with it and to ride it and see luckily it was fine. But would be nice to find a place that knows the thunder max, Very popular on east coast but not around here yet. Buy the way what year is your bike, The last time I wanted to just get a stage 1 download the stealer ship told me that Harley no longer has downloads available and said a SE race-tuner was the only way they could help me. That was about 2 years back, So I take it that they do still have them seeing that you were able to get a reflash. I would like to do the same and carry my Harley ecm as I do now just in case the thunder max craps out. Is there a part or ID number for the 103 Stage 1 reflash.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 AM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Small world. I deliver Argon and Nitrogen to allot of laser cutting and fab shops around Roseville, Fraser, and Warren. I often stop for lunch at the Hooters at Gratiot and 14 mile.

As for the reflash there is a part number. Ill have to see if I still have the paperwork from when they did it because I know it was on there. My bike is a 2006. I know they used to have the downloads on cartridges but now they are all on the Digital Technician computer that the dealers use. Not sure if the older bikes still need the cartridges or if they use the new style download. You would have to ask a dealer.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced
Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Electra Mule
Cruiser

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!! Finally a Post I can Sit and Read and Enjoy and Get Excited About!! NO OCC...NO 1%...No, What kind of Key Ring do I Have....
I Keep all this Info in My files and Can Put it Up for reference...

THIS IS GREAT...KEEP UP THE PICTURES>>... BETTER THAN ****!!!

God Bless the Open Road... "Country Fried & THE MULE"