Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Ultra to 103 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to call the guys at Revolution Performance and ask them about the crank. http://www.revperf.com/
They work on allot of them and may know if they are the same or not.
I to was concerned about the cast crank but after talking to them and learning that even forged cranks can slip and the fact that they have never had a welded crank slip I felt confident in going with the cast.

As far as plugging the crank im not sure what it does but its included in the crank truing. You can see in the before and after pics of the crank the holes are plugged.
Before

After

Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM
62pan
Advanced

Who is zanotti's ? - Dealer ? - Where ? I just answered my question about the 09 crank. It is different - there's a 09 engine on ebay and they have alot of pic's and the stator or left side is way different more splines and the output shaft is threaded internally as mine is threaded on the outside and seems longer too.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Yes Zanotti is a dealer in Pa that does online discounts on HD parts.
Also you can try Chicago HD they sell online parts 20% off

https://www.zanottimotor.com/

http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/

Part number on crank is 23728-07A

Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
62pan
Advanced

OK. I will check with them on getting this done too. with the added weight of the weld and the plug all being on one side of the crank did they add any lighting holes on the same side or any weight on the opp side. Should be able to tell, Other wise I would think the balance would be off by the weight they added in one area.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmzx9r
You may want to call the guys at Revolution Performance and ask them about the crank. http://www.revperf.com/
They work on allot of them and may know if they are the same or not.
I to was concerned about the cast crank but after talking to them and learning that even forged cranks can slip and the fact that they have never had a welded crank slip I felt confident in going with the cast.

As far as plugging the crank im not sure what it does but its included in the crank truing. You can see in the before and after pics of the crank the holes are plugged.
S&S cranks come plugged already, but arent welded.

Ince you weld a crank I assume thats it, it is then a disposable item?? Or do they grind the weld away to pull it apart for rebuilding?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Originally Posted by 62pan
OK. I will check with them on getting this done too. with the added weight of the weld and the plug all being on one side of the crank did they add any lighting holes on the same side or any weight on the opp side. Should be able to tell, Other wise I would think the balance would be off by the weight they added in one area.
I’m no expert on how they do it or what’s all involved but they seem to know there ****.
There are no holes . But they recheck the balance and run out after the weld also.
If you have time to kill they have a bunch of pod casts on you tube that are very educational. They explain the whole process and cover a lot of other topics. I learned a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9X9ICqlmRs

Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Originally Posted by kingkingking
S&S cranks come plugged already, but arent welded.

Ince you weld a crank I assume thats it, it is then a disposable item?? Or do they grind the weld away to pull it apart for rebuilding?
Im not sure but I would assume that’s it. I know Harley says the OEM cranks are non serviceable.
I did speak with a company called Dark Horse that also does crank truing and welding . They said they sell a lot of forged S&S and Jims cranks and they recommend that they be welded also because they have seen plenty of S&S and Jims cranks slip and become untrue as well.

Both company’s said once a crank ,“cast or forged” is trued and welded it should last a lifetime barring any
bearing failure witch is pretty uncommon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RevolutionPerform

Again they have about 4 or 5 pod casts on u tube that cover cranks it in detail.

Last edited by cmzx9r; 01-19-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
62pan
Advanced

Talked with them @ RP and I'm looking at $450.00 to get the works, Trued - welded - plugged and balanced. The buck and a half price is trued - weld and plug. They said I probably could not tell of more vibration but for engine longevity and smoother running they strongly suggest the balance service too. Ahhh HD. Hundred bucks here thousand dollars there. Luckily I have a very understanding fun governor. $550 new crank $450 full service @ RP.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Wow.

First of all, you don't need to convert to the Timken bearing if you're changing cranks. You certainly can, but if you're doing a mild 103 then there's really no need. I have no direct experience with Revolution, but you may want to search them here and on other forums before you jump onboard with them. A solid 103 build will make a world of difference in your bike. I'm making 116/116 on a 103 "B" motor and a S/E 6-speed. Without the drag of the balancers or the transmission, my combo would be an easy 120/120.

Check out T-Man Performance.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Originally Posted by 62pan
Talked with them @ RP and I'm looking at $450.00 to get the works, Trued - welded - plugged and balanced. The buck and a half price is trued - weld and plug. They said I probably could not tell of more vibration but for engine longevity and smoother running they strongly suggest the balance service too. Ahhh HD. Hundred bucks here thousand dollars there. Luckily I have a very understanding fun governor. $550 new crank $450 full service @ RP.
Yea they tried talking me into the full works for $450 also. And also said I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference because they run so smooth after the truing. So I figured there are lots of HD’s on the road some with over 100K miles on them that never had a balance done I would put the money towards other mods like the hydraulic cam adjusters and such. But im sure you’ll be happy either way. They are good guys.

Quick Reply: 88 Ultra to 103 build