Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner Seat for RK

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005 | 03:22 AM
Grover
|
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default Sundowner Seat for RK

I want to replace the stock 50 mile seat on my 05 RK.

I like the looks and feel of the Sundowner.

My question is which is better - the one piece or the solo and the pad. I would like to add the tour pack and want to know if I bought the one piece if the bike would be tail heavy. Will the air shocks compensate for the extra weight or will it be out of balance.

If I had the solo seat, I could mount the tour pack farther forward.

Are ther other brands out there that would accomplish the same thing better?

Old 05-26-2005 | 03:26 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Sundowner Seat for RK

Grover,

No balance problems. You run however much air is designated for the weight you are carrying. I run 0-5 when I run solo, even with the tour pak. Harley has been running tour paks for years on the classics and ultras without any problems. Solo seats are cool but if your going to have a passanger I would get the regular seat instead of the 2 piece.

Terry

Old 05-26-2005 | 08:01 PM
Choke03RKC1
Advanced

I run the Sundowner solo on my 03 RKClassic. Initially I would swap the original seat back on if I needed to pack a passenger. I recently added the pad. This combination is more convenient. I also have the detachable tour pack rack installed (with the forward mounting kit). This gives me a nice solo backrest and puts the weight more forward. Not having run with a standard tour pack and passenger simultaneously, I don't have any comparison, but with the setup I have the bike handles well. The detachable kit also allows me to run a detachable passenger backrest when I use the pad. Since I rarely have passengers, this works great for me. Any passengers are happy for the ride. I suppose if you carried someone cnstantly, they might want a little more comfort.

Choke

Old 05-28-2005 | 12:49 PM
hoagie
Stage II

Grover, I have a two-up Sundowner seat on my RK, with the adjustable back rest and I love it!!I put a set of wide bars on that come back further, with one inch longer grips. It gave the bike a much more relaxed riding position. I use the detachable rear back rest with the detatchable rear rack system. You could use a detatchable cut-down tour pack docking system with a two-up seat with no problems. I'm not aware of any after market systems, but I would stay with the Harley stuff even though. Good Luck

Hoagie

Old 05-28-2005 | 04:27 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I had a quick detach tour pac on my '95 Roadking, and it handled fine. It naturally gets a little more top heavy, but no more so than on the EG classic or Ultra.

Regards,

Bill